bell frogs on sand?

exoticboy

i was at the pet shop a few houurs ago getting a new uv bulb and in this massive tank there were frogs on red desert sand is that fine i mean i'm not going to try but i just want to know :thup:

If it's the exo terra stuff they should be allright the sand particles are smooth in that sand.

wow i always though it would stick to them and get really anoying and i think it was reptile one stuff because it had it next to the tank

It will stick tp them it would get annoying but I don't think it would cause to much harm.

It might start irritating their skink though.

If it's the reptile one stuff it will be alright as long as its not the calcium sand as that stuff is really jagged!

i really dislike lol calcium sand :digH: terrable stuff

It's not to bad it's just basically ground up limestone but if eaten to much the animal can get sick from to much calcium and the grains are quite jagged but in America you can get calci sand that is rounded

It's not to bad it's just basically ground up limestone but if eaten to much the animal can get sick from to much calcium and the grains are quite jagged but in America you can get calci sand that is rounded

it looks cool but i wouldn't risk it and it's also very exspensive :evil:

i put some bells on sand last week. for the first few hours they had sand stuck to them. Now not a trace. Is like they got use to it and stopped rolling in it lol

really was it river sand? i may use that oneday and do you recone beach sand would be toxic to them ? :dunno:

yep river sand.

i normally use daltons propagating sand, that's coarse grade (could cause impaction very easily but never had any trouble here). I do try cover most with moss but not always and frogs seem ok.

beach sand maybe ok, southern bells breed in the sand dunes near the beach down this way. So must have some salt tolerance. Not sure about other species. You try it first and let me know :lol: . Oh yeah get it from a quarry ;) you dont want to get in trouble lol

yep river sand.

i normally use daltons propagating sand, that's coarse grade (could cause impaction very easily but never had any trouble here). I do try cover most with moss but not always and frogs seem ok.

beach sand maybe ok, southern bells breed in the sand dunes near the beach down this way. So must have some salt tolerance. Not sure about other species. You try it first and let me know :lol: . Oh yeah get it from a quarry ;) you dont want to get in trouble lol

\no thanks herperjosh can :slfg: and i might try it next week

Just watched a frog shedding its skin. It had little bits of sand entwined amongst the skin :-? .

As they shed they they work the skin forward to their mouth & eat it.

So maybe not a good idea to use sand. I've never noticed this with coarse sand before though.

yup i've seen it to it looks crazy :nilly: like that lol

yep river sand.

Whistlers breed in the sand dune lakes too. Gave us a bit of a surprise when we collected some tadpoles as we had only heard and seen Bell frogs at the beach.