Gold Compressiceps

Mcculloch

Looks like my Gold's might have spawned in my display tank I wasn't expecting it but hopefully I can get a few fry out of it.

Has any one had any luck spawning and raising these guys?

Looks like I might have to find room to get them there own tank somewhere, I might need a shipping container before long :wink: .

Congrats

you will need to strip fry from folks other wise they are just free food

hard fry successfully raise but good luck

use brine shrimp and micros to start then move up to grindals and white worms/lumbriculas

once big enough other fry are also good

once they are a goodly size you will need to start grading as they will devour each other as well

Oh and happy for you to ship to me to do all the hard work...lol

if not happy to go first on the list for some saleable sized fry

nav

Awesome good work :) I wish mine would breed! At the moment they hate each other..

Second what Nav has said they are very delicate so daily water changes with preconditioned water and grade them out for size all the time into tanks with same water so they don't eat each other.. You will need some tanks but it would be worth it to get more of these guys out there a friend of mine has a whole heap but can't seem to get his spawning at the moment :(

lol Or like Nav said feel free to flick them to me and I will give them a go too lol

congrats, may they all survive.

the info i have seen from keepers in other countries say that they aren't hard to raise at all, i haven't seen any info about daily changes etc. I would research some australian forums for the info i needed if i was you. :)

My info is based on the info the only 2 people who have managed to raise any altos in NZ gave me.. But yeah that info on that forums goes against that and info on pretty much every website about breeding them.

My info is based on the info the only 2 people who have managed to raise any altos in NZ gave me.. But yeah that info on that forums goes against that and info on pretty much every website about breeding them.

i would go with the experience of those who have easily raised many over the couple that have struggled :D

Well hopefully it is as easy as they say :) I would say if it was we would have tons of them in NZ, the people I talk about tried everything they could find on the net (obviously starting off with the easy stuff like a few people suggest works) but had no luck.. If they were that easy then surely the guys with the trio of calvus that bred all the time and they had literally thousands of free swimming fry would have managed to raise more than 5.. They tried everything as well and had no luck.

I think it may be a case of some people have the luck with them or something small about their setup or methods suits the fish better than others and this may be the key more than the big stuff.

Anyway good luck Mcculloch and fingers crossed that we see more of these in the shops in the next few years if you are successful.

• 3 weeks later...
Well hopefully it is as easy as they say :) I would say if it was we would have tons of them in NZ, the people I talk about tried everything they could find on the net (obviously starting off with the easy stuff like a few people suggest works) but had no luck.. If they were that easy then surely the guys with the trio of calvus that bred all the time and they had literally thousands of free swimming fry would have managed to raise more than 5.. They tried everything as well and had no luck.

I think it may be a case of some people have the luck with them or something small about their setup or methods suits the fish better than others and this may be the key more than the big stuff.

Anyway good luck Mcculloch and fingers crossed that we see more of these in the shops in the next few years if you are successful.

:happy1: