Bugvac ---> free live food.

Insect Direct

I've started breeding locusts for live food. I've got two enclosures set up, one a 200L tank made into the adult breeding area, and the other a small mdf box for incubating the babies.

Problem is that the incubator is now chockered full of babies, so I was planning on collecting them into those blue 1L snap-on containers. I made a pooter but was unimpressed with the amount of suction required, so we used a vacuum but it seems to have either killed or stunned nearly all of the baby locusts.

Does anyone have an idea for an inbetween cheap option for suction?

from pg,1

Yeah thats a cheap little bagless vac, one I use for cleaning out the lizard enclosures. Can adjust the level/suck on it which is handy. I turn it down low for sucking up bugs, otherwise they can get a bit munted :wink: . May get away with just a standard vacume with that little adjustable hole open near the handle. Otherwise if still to powerful, make an extra hole in the jar lid, put another pipe in with a tap, turn tap to adjust air flow. Should work like a bleeder valve. The bugs in the jar may get swirled around a bit though.

We use to do this years ago to collect live flies for the kindy frog, we cut an old pair of tights up put one on the end of the vacuum hose turned it on and sucked up the flies and then put the end of the hose in the jar and turned it off , the flies dropped into the jar still living .It worked a treat ,lots of live food , the frogs loved it