wild type guppy?

BikBok

this little guy is just over 7 weeks and came as a surprise to me. Not what I expected, his mother is a golden guppy and she bred with either a red tuxedo or snakeskin. She usually gives me tuxes, goldens and snakeskins and has had 7 lots of fry. They are always removed and sold so she doesn't have the chance to breed with offspring.

I presume this guppy is what is called a wildtype, usually seen after several generations of inbreeding I thought.

At a few weeks old when he went shiny , I thought he as going to be a snakeskin and was going to keep him for my bigger tank but alas he's not. He's quite pretty in his own right though and has a nicely patterned dorsal fin which will probably grow some more yet. He looks heaps better in real life, the photo's don't do him justice.

But is he worth keeping to breed from or is he likely to throw all plain females and wildtype males?

Sam has one of the males from same batch - I'd be interested to know if he turned into a wildtype too. The others were all sold before they developed their colouring.

BikBok-wildthing8w-425.jpg

BikBok-wildthingfin8w-5xv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it's just the combination of genes. It could be worth breeding him back to one of the parents to see what the next generation produces. Or may not be worth bothering with. That all depends on what you're objectives are. Certainly breeding him back to parents will likely result in more the same, but might also enhance some of the good genes in some of the young.