Chaetomorpha Macro Algae

chimera

is anyone using this instead of caluerpa? every article i've read says this is a preferred macro algae for nutrient export than caluerpa. can we get his here? if so, where?

Chaetomorpha is a durable macro algae but unlike Caulerpa, it does not produce a number of substances which can create problems for corals in closed systems and does not go sexual by releasing it's reproductive products and nutrients back into the water column which would degrade water quality. It does not grow that aggresively like some other Caulerpa by overtaking your tank and it's inhabitants with rapid growth. That's why it's my personal favorite macroalgae along with Razor Caulerpa. Chaetomorpha is more stable and not overly invasive, and easy to harvest. All in all, Chaetomorpha is a much better macro algae for nutrient export purposes. It is easily grown in a sump or refugium with inexpensive 24/7 flourescent lighting. I have found it grows even faster in a refugium with a 'slow upwards water movement' using a very small pump. The refugium should spill water back into you sump. Since adding the Chaetomorpha Macro Algae, my refugium is now home to many tiny detrivores which include copepods, bristle worms, mysid shrimps, and brittle stars which all play a significant role in cleansing the system. The water quality has improved so much that there are now many tiny white and red feather dusters growing out the small pieces of live rock in the refugium. Chaetomorpha Macro Algae is also a great source of nutirtion for Tangs

Chaetomorpha2.JPG