I have finally got guppy fry

aquadude

I know that this may be not " cool or wow " to a non newbie but did a count in my nursery tank ...guppy young - from a couple of days old to nearly a month old...

:bounce:

my wife & I are having a bet on how many fry before 1st Jan 2010

My guess..110 - 120

her guess..125 - 135

loser...buys dinner

LOL you are doing well I must say :D

I can't even count mine

They won't stay still long enough.

I have my 50 lt Set up for them as a bare bottom tank and also my 60 LT tank as babies to.

As for your bet the wife will win. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
I know that this may be not " cool or wow " to a non newbie but did a count in my nursery tank ...guppy young - from a couple of days old to nearly a month old...

:bounce:

my wife & I are having a bet on how many fry before 1st Jan 2010

My guess..110 - 120

her guess..125 - 135

loser...buys dinner

So who is winning.?

I long ago gave up separating fry in the guppies only tank. I found that when the tank had very few adults, they did eat the babies. But now that there's a community of all sizes and plenty of indian fern, the babies seem fine, although of course I don't know how many actually are eaten too. I think it's something to do with the movement - the total fish mass becomes 'one' so the predators don't see the individuals. Or something. That's how the schooling effect works in the wild I think.

To illustrate:

A while ago I needed to separate my angel pair and I put the female into the overflow guppy tank. The reason was to feed her up because she gets a bit down providing her mate with eggs to eat every week. So I thought time away from him was needed, and there was nothing special in that tank and I could handle her eating the smallest ones in the name of good quality live food. Well, I was flabbergasted to see that she hardly touched them. She watched and stalked some, but didn't seem to strike. One morning at feeding time I saw a baby right in front of her mouth and thought that one was going to be a goner, but she shoved it out of the way to get to the food behind it. Conversely, another time I put a few adult guppies into the angel tank and with just a few larger fish as tank mates, the angels ate any baby about 10 seconds after it was born.

To me it seems to illustrate that the safety of babies depends on the whole tank dynamic rather than just the risk factor of individual fish. I wouldn't risk fish I wasn't prepared to lose trying these things though.