hi need some breeding advice

aaron11

I have my 90 litre tank all set up im getting about 100 plus babies a month thats with about 30 guppies in there i need a few more girls

anyway I put the babies in 22 litre tank and then sell them

Should I set up a 2 or 3 foot tank and stand and throw the babies in there?? or if your gonna breed more, would you have another 20-30 guppies in there? and let htem have babies

I want the babies to be seperate as its easier etc

hi great thanks thats what i will do

whats the mimimum size I should get another 90 or 100 litre

and i just take the babies out and put them in the fry tank

I think i only got ten girls mine all got old and a few dropped off

BUT i kept some younger ones

thanks for the advice

Be good to make enough money to cover the power in winter

keep some more young girls, so you have 20 or so for 10 males, and they'll drop at least 400 fry a month. Should be plenty left after they've eaten some :)

If you want to increase their survival in the time between being born and moved to the other tank, fill it with lots of plants. I have a strip across the back and the two back corners packes with plants that have leaves from bottom to top, then i have duckweed floating, its horrible stuff to get rid of but it covers the surface and the roots hanging down mean the fry can swim all through without being eaten. Can leave the fry in for a few days and still catch 30 or so from each batch, even though there's rainbowfish and siamese fighters etc in there too.

Also they nearly always have babies in the morning, a couple of hours after the lights come on, so if you think ones about to have babies check about lunchtime and they should all be there swimming in a group in the corner.

Thank you twinkles I had lots of plants they not doing so well after I moved but but they growing again!!!!!

I will make sure i keep some more girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some lovely blonde ones with neon tails (males) lol

the person i got my fish off moved and dont do them anymore or I would of got more !

Thank you twinkles I had lots of plants they not doing so well after I moved but but they growing again!!!!!

I will make sure i keep some more girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some lovely blonde ones with neon tails (males) lol

the person i got my fish off moved and dont do them anymore or I would of got more !

Sounds like what I am working on out of my gold/blonde line :)

I'd say start up a tank with heaps of thick plants like Polysperma etc. Let that grow wild and then the guppies would have a better chance of survival. Not so good if you want to breed selectively but if I get another tank, I was going to do a wild type guppy project.

Feral Guppies would look wicked :lol:

He just had all his guppies intogether the guy i got them off and he had some wicked ones even a few veil tails I had a few of them but mine died

i dont like the wild ones with the spots lol

and what is a feral guppy

If i got a good size tank and kept the babies in there I suppose I could put a few good pairs in there for them to breed in the baby tank also bigger ones i mean?

And guppies rock good not having to buy new fish when they die

I got some amazing tux from my babies

I know to keep the half black babies now lol