My fighter has red legged spider poos??

fishfishfish!

I have lately got my hands on some microworms for my fishies and since i have been feeding them into the tank i have noticed that my male betta splendens / fighter looks like he is trying to poo out a red legged spider... :-? lol I'm not sure how better to describe it! he has 4+ wee red thingys (3mm - 5mm long) hanging from his exit area. He still seems fine. Hes a little shyer lately as i have introduced some new fish into the tank (?? maybe they have given him something?? though i havent seen anything wrong with the others in the tank) But other then that he is his normal self. I thought his mood change was because the male platy (RIP Herman :cry: ) passed on while i was away and Tyson (the fighter) seemed to love picking on him, i just assumed he was content that he was the king of the tank lol.

Im wondering if he is reacting to the microworms? this is the only thing i can think of that would justify this? Though i havent noticed him really try to eat them (i think hes too big and hes just not interested??) this is all i can think of.

Is he constipated? if so how do you fix a constipated fish? should i just let him be as he appears happy enough??

Any help i'm sure Tyson would love and so would i thanks!! :hail:

Sounds like Camallanus

Do any of these match? http://images.google.co.nz/images?hl=en ... e&resnum=4

It is a particularly nasty worm infection but it is relatively easy to treat..

This link has it all

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatmen ... chloride-1

And the active ingredient can be purchased as a bird wormer called aviverm from your vet or offline..

Good luck!

oh no! it does sound like callamanus.

I lost my first ever guppy to this as it was sold to me already infected.

I couldn't get the worming treatment quick enough as it was hard to find!

You don't say where you live but you can buy aviverm (which contains levamisole HCL) at BIRD BARN in west Auckland. or online at www.hippo.co.nz

http://www.hippo.co.nz/1884,0,0.mel this is what I used to treat the rest of my tank.

I imagine poultry supplies would also have it.

finding the exact dosage was hard.

The aviverm from hippo is 24% w/v levamisole W/V

and I used a dose rate of 2.36mg/L (about 1ml for 22L)

the lethal dose for fish is 250mg/L so it's pretty hard to overdose.

Good luck!

The aviverm that I got was 23% which meant 230mg of levamisole HCL per ml, so a dosage rate of 1ml per 115L will give you 2mg/L..

At your dosage rate you are dosing around 10mg/L, as you state it is hard to fatally overdose but the article states that it is o more effective above 2mg/L so you are just wasting meds, I usually work out the volume of my tanks and not take into consideration the gravel etc to make sure I am going slightly over the 2mg/L mark. I think you may have mucked up the maths somewhere to get your dosage.

Just in case you were wondering on the maths

assuming 1L of aviverm which is 1kg.

Assuming 23% lavamisole gives 230gms in 1L.

divide each by 1000 to get how much is in 1ml (1000ml in a L)

gives .23gms (230mg) per L.

at 2mg/L you can treat 115L.

From that description I would say callamanus as well. 4+ is quite bad and may have done a fair bit of damage already.

Aviverm should clear it up. Very best of luck with this one. I have lost a heap of fish to this before I learned what it was and how to fix it.

Ryans info above is right on the money, saved me writing it :-)

The aviverm that I got was 23% which meant 230mg of levamisole HCL per ml, so a dosage rate of 1ml per 115L will give you 2mg/L..

At your dosage rate you are dosing around 10mg/L, as you state it is hard to fatally overdose but the article states that it is o more effective above 2mg/L so you are just wasting meds, I usually work out the volume of my tanks and not take into consideration the gravel etc to make sure I am going slightly over the 2mg/L mark. I think you may have mucked up the maths somewhere to get your dosage.

Just in case you were wondering on the maths

assuming 1L of aviverm which is 1kg.

Assuming 23% levamisole gives 230gms in 1L.

divide each by 1000 to get how much is in 1ml (1000ml in a L)

gives .23gms (230mg) per L.

at 2mg/L you can treat 115L.

yep you're right! Just looking at my notebook and I did muck up .. I should have used closer to 0.2ml for a 22L.

That's based on 24% w/v and the recommendation of 2.36mg/L of levamisole HCL... pure levamisole is 2mg/L Aviverm is not pure levamisole. From what I can understand the HCL part makes it more stable especially at different pH levels.

:o Oh thank you guys soo much. I'm not 100% sure if this is what Tyson has. (his are a little smaller) but i am about 90% sure lol sounds like i should be grateful its not as big as those images! I will take note of the treatments and see if the pet store on the way home has it. Then when i get home i will have a Photo shoot of my wee boy and post the images to see if you still agree!!

Will the other fish have it in their systems? and is it safe to treat Tyson in the same tank with my other fish???

Thank you again!!! fingers crossed i can heal this!!

and I'm in Dunedin!! :lol:

just had another look at the photos. Yes i am now certain this is correct thank you sooo much! i will get onto that treatment!! fingers crossed!!!!

Have meds ordered and getting a mate to pick them up for me. :bounce: Had a lovely guy help me on the phone from the pet store.

Lights off you say? DONE! will do water change tonight and another when i give the meds.

Thank you all again so much! I hope i have got it in enough time!! :(

will update on progress!

:roll: OK so just come home and checked out my stunning fishies! Tyson is behaving like normal and the spider poos has cleared up... kinda... there does appear to be finer versions of what i had. lol Less finer and longer.... (well one long bit and one or two other smaller bits)

I'm wondering what i should do?? Water change then redose? Or will that be an overdose? Or just clean the tank and leave it and hope for the best?? :-?

redose in 5-7 days because there may be eggs hatching that haven't been vaccumed up. and then a third dose in 7-10 days if you want to make extra sure... one tiny missed egg can start the whole process again!

The worms in your fish should have been paralysed and now need to be passed. A pea might help with that! (i chop tiny bits for my betta and hand feed (he eats off my finger) or mush it between your fingers and put it in the water. (no skin/shell)

Epsom salts can help if you think your fish is constipated as sometimes happens with fish infected with worms.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear all is well :) Have all the worms gone from the fighter? Make sure you do the full 3 treatments to make sure you have gotten all the worms, it is only in very bad cases when you actually see them sticking out so they may still be there if you have missed any when you did your gravel vac etc after treating.