PALM OIL BOYCOTT

Gannet

Someone recently said to me that shopping is a daily referendum. Every time you buy something, you are endorsing the product, the brand, the company, and the productioon methods they use... and every time you choose not to buy something you are voting with your $$ by taking your money elsewhere.

I know it's a huge issue and we can't ever be perfect, but we can make an effort to be better. For example, I have recently joined an organic co-operative and now I can buy bulk organic produce cheaper than I can buy "conventional" products at the supermarket!

I choose carefully every time I buy something and decide whether I really need the item, what impact I will be having with my purchase choice, and whether there is a better choice I could be making.

As for driving, about three years ago I stopped driving a car and bought myself a 250cc motorbike instead. I kept the car for a while, thinking I might still use it sometimes. But eventually I sold it because it never got driven. (I have installed a rack on the back of my bike to carry groceries and bulky items.) My partner rides a 180cc scooter.

I know that particular option isn't available to everyone. Nor is walking, cycling or taking public transport. I'm not suggesting everyone is going to make the same choices. I just think a lot of the time people think they haven't got choices (or it's too hard to make changes) when actually we have choices to make every single day. And collectively, everything we do makes a difference.

So, whenever possible, I choose to buy locally-made products. And whenever possible I also choose organic, fair trade, sustainably produced, non-toxic products.

It's not as hard as it sounds! It's actually quite fun to seek out the best products you can find, research the issues involved in their manufacture and think hard about your decisions. Become an informed consumer! :bounce: :bounce: