"Special" Tube Light Bulbs

breakaway

Hi Guys,

As I have aquascaped my tank and intend adding more plants, I need more light. I have a second light hood, but no bulb. I was wondering if Buying those special light bulbs which are made to promote plant growth were worth the money? Or should I go to Mitre 10 or something and get one?

Any help appreciated

breaka\/\/ay

On my tank 250 litre tank I am using 3 Philips 6500k and 1 Gro Lux and my plants are growing out of the tank and some are even flowering. Both bulbs are available from an electrical supplier i.e. Russells for a fraction of the cost of the ones at the pet shop and do an awesome job, and if you're lucky like me and have a sister that works for an electrical company you can get them even cheaper!! :D

Here is an old thread that I started when I was setting up my tank:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2266

Cheers,

Matt

I got a Phillips 18w colour 865 6500k for about $8.50 yesturday and 58w ones for around $10.

There is tons of info in here on lighting but as a general rule Use 6500k bulbs for fresh water tanks.

Lower (Cool/Warm White etc) = high algae/slime and gunk because of too much of the red spectum and higher rated ones cost tons more and are of no real benifit.

Colour 865 and 965 are both rated at 6500k but 865 is alot higher lumens and IMO better.