Breeding Snails

lmsmith

I need lots and lots of ramshorn or pond snails - anyone have any tips on breeding them? I've got them in a small BB tank, with a bit of a current, and lots and lots of food. They seem pretty slow to get going.

If anyone has any they want to get rid of, let me know because I'd love some.

I pull snails out of my tank every day!

Ain't it funny how those who want them can't get them to multiply, but those who don't want them seem to have a never ending supply of them!

I just pulled a pile out plant out and have it sitting in water with Snail Rid to try and kill mine off!

Still have a good few I could throw your way if you're ever around my end of the region.

Thanks everyone for your advice. The acid thing could be the problem with one of my tanks, the snails never survive, and the pH is about 5.8.

I'll def give the trout pellets a go, it's lots cheaper than feeding them my plants or fish food.

Anyone know how long the eggs will take to hatch at 20deg? They've laid heaps of eggs, already.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Re: the acid thing... I was advised many years ago to put a cuttlefish bone in a snail tank. (The kind you put in a budgie's cage - available at supermarkets.) This supplies all the minerals the snails need to build up their shells.

I don't know if the cuttlefish bone is any better than oyster shells or any of the other calcium sources, but I just remembered this rather interesting piece of advice and thought I would pass it on!