base for rock wall

jude

Hi again

I am planning to build a rock wall out of small pieces of schist I have. The wall is for my BIG tank when I can afford it and the tank will have an outside filter.

I thought I would build the wall on an old UG filter plate, put it on the bottom of the tank, and cover it with gravel - that would mean I could build it in advance and the plate would give it some stability.

The problem is I don't have a lot of schist and I really don't want to buy more - so I don't want to have the first layer or two of the wall buried in the gravel - especially as the base would need the most solid and squarest bits, leaving all the odd shapes for the rest of the wall.

So my question is, what could I use to build the first layer or two of this wall? Something 2-3" high and squarish. Would bits of bricks be OK?

Cheers

Jude

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Matt.

I might need some more but I'm hoping not. The bits I have are small and squarish - they originally came from a floor to ceiling fireplace surround - ugly great monster it was! When we took it down most of it was still in great big lumps, concreted together - but I salvaged all the small bits. They are mostly 2"-3" in size.

If I got more I imagine it would be in bigger slabs - is it hard to break up?

Cheers

Judy

The schist I got is small and oval shaped with nice smooth edges between 5 & 10 cm long. I built a curved wall with it in my tank and left a hole in between a few bits and siliconed a terracotta pot behind it to make a cave. I got a bag a 2kg bag for under $10.

It shouldn't be hard to break with a sledge hammer, but I would be very careful as it will probably shatter, definitely wear safety goggles!

See pictures of my wall here:

http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/Spawnings.html

http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/LargeHomeTank.html

Cheers,

Matt

Oh dear

Don't forget, I am a little old lady ............. not sure if I could lift a sledge hammer :lol: :lol:

I thought I would follow Pegasus's advice about building the wall - plan it out, use a masonry bit to drill holes and insert joiners like cut up bits of old felt pens.

I glued schist years ago when we had a fish tank, it diidn't last cause the surface is so flakey and dusty. Even with a good scrub it feels dusty. I made it with lots of holes so the fish could swim in and out. It was cool till it fell apart! I like the idea of the pot glued behind it but what do you do when you want to catch a fish that's in there? LOL

Cheers

Judy

Never thought of that :D:D , fortunately none of my fish have been smart enough to hide in there when I'm trying to catch them, otherwise I would have a bit of a dilemma :D .

I used hot glue on mine, but it is not very good. It works fine until you move the wall around too much and then a few bits start falling off. Pegasus' idea sounds good.

Cheers,

Matt