regarding Discus

Dave+Amy

I've put a question up in the Disease section but no one's answered and I'm getting really worried now.

T

he white spots I spotted last night on the caudal and the soft dorsal fin bit are on one side of the fish only and slightly raised, occuring only on the spines and not on the membranes. Am wanting to know what I should treat the whole tank with bearing in mind that it's a community tank so the medication has to be all-fish-friendly.

Thanks.

Take some photos of the white spots if you can.. Or else google "white spot" and see if you can find some photos to match up and identify what your fish have..

Generally if its white spot it will be all over the fish, some more so than others but this could just be the start of an infection.

If it is only mild salt can clear it up bump up your temp (although yours is probably high enough as your keeping discus) and add some rock salt from the supermarket I usually chuck in a couple of big handfuls to my 540L tank on day one if no improvement I keep adding the same again daily, it has yet to kill anything even when I kept clown loaches with the africans (they were the main reason I had to keep treating for white spot).

Good luck but do try and identify the spots before doing anything they could be something else.

Discus shouldn't be getting white spot unless you're filling cold water when doing waterchange. That will stress the fish and the fluctuation of temp is one of the causes.

I personally won't worry about it. Just do more waterchanges and add salt like Ryan says.

If it's white spot your loaches will be the first one to get it.

Do 2-3 big waterchanges a week to perk them up. use pre heated water for the WC to avoid stressing them.

ron