Need filter advice

matthewY

Having a really bad run on my discus, planning on re-doing the whole tank and picking up a uv filter.

My current filter is 1200lh jebao which I picked up from trademe a while back. Tank is a 300L one. I'm starting to feel my filter is letting the whole tank down and have had quite a few deaths lately. The most resecent one I believe might be gill flukes.

So afew questions....

Will UV help?

If picking up a uv filter, I see 2 on trademe, 1 has more uv power and one seems to ahev more grunt....

Atman UF2400 Canister Filter (based on aqua one filter)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =187337073

Sounds like it has good flow rate but lower uv tube... uv helps kill teh bad stuff I dont want in the tank.... is 5 watt enough? Also no push to prime as far as i can tell....

Sunsun - HW-304B External Canister Filter Built-In 9W UV Sterilizer

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =187054925

Has push to prime and a 9W uv tube but looking at the size/ flow rate, maybe I'll find myself in teh same situation as my current filter?

any thoughs? anyone owns any of these?

I'd personally not bother with UV, it seems like a lot of money and work when you can get the same result with feeding, water changes and salt.

What happened with your discus tank? You need to figure out why the fish are dying, and where the flukes came from. The fish need to be treated, otherwise no matter what kind of filtration you have, you'll continue to have the same problems.

Long dtory but I believe it started when I picked up some other discus from a pet shop. I kept them in a differnt tank for a week (prob not long enough) then moved them all together.... after that the ones I purchased died over a month or so and then the "better" ones started to die too....

Did as much water changes as i can but couldnt keep up (300L tank, waiting for it to warm up before adding more etc). I did about 10 - 20% water change a day, usually 15L in the morning and 25L at night.

I've tried treating one of the more recent sick guys with metro (well trichozole) thinking it fits the symptoms of hex... It had its head down 45 degrees, seemed to struggle swimming and seemed to be out of breath and not interested in food. Its still around but doesnt seem to be any betetr then it was before the treatment (i stoped treatment on friday after 1 week of treating in a small floating container). As soon as I stoped treatemnt, one of the larger discus just droped dead. It had similar symptoms but didnt show them untill near the end. I was thinking if the small guy gets better then this discus will be next in the teratment (but it died before that).

All up i've lost 4 discus over the last 2 or so months and trying to save the remaining 3. My sister has done reading and thought its gill flukes so I'm hoping to find somthing for treating that.

I have PP at the moment but no means of getting good measurements for treating them (mg scales). Instead, I've moved all my fishies into a smaller tank (60 L tank with the remaining 3 discus, 3 GBA and 6 cardinals).... I plan to blow the main tank away with PP tonight / tomorrow and hoping that if I can treat the guys in teh smaller tank with huge water changes, salt baths then when tehy vare better, move them back to the main tank with stringer filter, uv, no graven and only afew plants...

any thoughts on the above aswell as good filters will be great

Thanks