Electric yellows/blue dolphins

lmsmith

I'd like to get some blue dolphins (Cyrtocara moorii, Haplochromis moorii (?) from my web searches) and electric yellows (Labidochromis caeruleus).

They would live in a 3ft tank.

I know I can't get many, but I love the colour they are, and would like some bigger fish.

My googles have said that they'll live ok together, but I wanted to ask you fish gods if they'll be ok together, what conditions they should be in, and how many I can keep in a 3ft. I'll be getting them as small babies (about 1-2cm), and can keep the brightest and the prettiest when they start to get bigger.

I was thinking of a sand bottom and slate to make caves for the fishes - are they plant diggers? Would I be better off getting coral sand to keep the pH up, or putting a layer of crushed sand in the tank/filter?

Thanks guys!

Blue dolphins are cool fish them and yellows will be good together..

Long term I wouldn't keep any dolphins in a 3ft tank it would only be suitable for a grow out tank as they get to 25cmish (that can take a while but they will quickly outgrow a 3ft).

Yellows would be ok in a 3ft though and maybe some peacocks.. There are not many africans especially haps that are suitable for a tank that small.

Coral sand on the bottom vs something in your filter is upto personal preference and what you can source/afford (coral sand can be hard to get and can be expensive). Coral sand in your filter wont work too well unless you stick it in a very fine mesh bag to stop it going everywhere.. They wont actively dig up plants but will dig around a bit probably uprooting them and might even have a munch on some plants depending on the fish.

Also be careful moving fish that small it will be quite easy to loose them..

Yeah thats right.. Could go for dem's they're wicked little fish id probably stay away from the dolphins though in a tank that small...

heres an article..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_moorii.php

Another option that might work out and is pretty cool is jullies marlieri or transcriptors they stay pretty small and add something different..

As for dem's I lost my adult colony so have to grow out my back ups :( I am sure some of the many that have brought colonies off me will start breeding soon and there will be hundreds of them out there :)