ID on my fish please

Mel

Can anyone please tell me the names of my fish also the sexes .. sorry I couldn't get some good pictures of some.

th_IMG_8074_6_1.jpg

th_IMG_8081_10_1.jpg

th_IMG_8141_61_1.jpg

could only get the bum end of this fish

th_IMG_8085_13_1.jpg

I especially want to know what this one is

th_IMG_8110_30_1.jpg

Many thanks for those who can help.

Where did all of them come from?

1 OB or marble zebra possible female

2 hard to tell with flash but probably blue zebra

3 red zebra possible male

4 no idea

5 possible ob or marble zebra but hard angle to tell?

All these fish can and will cross breed and may well be the result of that depends where you got them from :)

Where did all of them come from?

1 OB or marble zebra possible female

2 hard to tell with flash but probably blue zebra

3 red zebra possible male

4 no idea

5 possible ob or marble zebra but hard angle to tell?

All these fish can and will cross breed and may well be the result of that depends where you got them from :)

Thanks for replying. Got these from Wetpets. Ok so they are all zebras cool. I wasn't sure on what "eggspots" mean't but I think you've cleared that up for me now

pic 3 - he is more white than red and pic 4 is exactly the same as pic 3 but he's dark blue with black stripes.

pic 5 - the spots on her are black not brown like the pic shows.

I don't intend on breeding these (if they do happen to they will most proberly end up = dare I say it "turtle food")

Hey by the way - I was the winner of the auction on TM for the 18 mixed malawi cichlids (noticed you ask questions) .. yah get them today - I'll get some pics up of the ones I'm not sure about so you can ID afew of them for me to.

Most of wetpets zebras come from their mixed zebra tank and are a muddle up.. However they have got in batches off the wholesale list etc so some might be ok hard to tell.. Really important to buy from someone who knows what they're doing if you want to be able to name properlly..

That auction ended up being quite a good buy if only for the yellows I was tempted to try and get one male off them because im after one if they're any good let me know might be able to trade some fish :) Will happily id them for you if you can get pic's will also be home in a few weeks.. Glad someone else locally is keeping africans :) Oh you do realise that convicts aren't africans as the lady was selling them as such on the auction..

How big is your tank?

Got the fish yesterday and they are happily in my tank now alot of fighting going on though mainly with all the zebras. I didn't realise that convicts weren't africans they are in the tank with them all seem to be fine - the small female is really nice lovely red colours will look stunning when bigger. Will they be ok in with the rest of them??

As for the yellows they look alot brighter and nicer than the ones at wetpets. One is holding - don't know which though won't stay still long enough for me to see. You are more than welcome to have a male if I have more than one - I have no idea how to sex them. Will they only breed with there own kind as in only yellows??

I was going to ask - my red zebra in pic the white fish, will he go orange when he gets older? he is still only a young fish and when you look down at him he has a bright orange tinge. I really like the 2 red zebras (haha red zebras they should be called orange zebras) I got, there colours are amazing both males though :(

I will try taking pics of them - if they stay still long enough :D

they are in the old turtle tank - 1.5 x .5 x .5 - turtle now in the 300 litre tank - sorry i got the litres all wrong as I've been told, never was good at maths :lol:

So in the auction i got - 9x yellows (1 died in transit so now 8 + one with babies)

2x red zebras

3x convicts

5x seem like blue zebras - alot like the fish in my pic only showing the bum end.

+ what i already have in tank

1x red zebra, 3x marble zebra, 1x dark blue zebra and 1x 25cm common pleco

How many more fish do you think I can put in there - hubby wants MORE in there :o haha .. I read on a website that for cichlids you can have 1 fish for every 15 litres (is that true?)

I have been looking at the picture of your tank and really like the bright light blue fish (i think they are dolphins? not sure) will they be ok with what I have, I would want at least 2 or 3 of them. Also notice that you have a bumphead in there, I have 2 young ones (male & felmale) presently in another tank till abit bigger so will they be ok in there too, when bigger.

sorry for all the questions .. very new to cichlids . Also what is the best food for them. On a website I was reading that yellows need a vegie & algae diet to maintain the bright colour ... i have the JBL Rift algae sticks they seem to love those. Also got several other brands of cichlid food I like to feed a variety.

The zebra's are very aggressive they are known for that and the males will all scrap amonst each other to establish who is the boss of the tank, as long as you have heaps of males or one male it will be fine.. Convicts should be ok in there might be trouble if breeding but yeah I don't recommend it (mainly because I don't like convicts but also because they're american) but have seen it work..

I would be keen to have a look see and your yellows see if you have a spare descent male im sure I will have something different spare to swap if they're any good :) You're yellows should breed true, however red zeb x yellow is a very common cross it depends on how dominant your yellows are..

Red zebra males are typically a pink colour females orange.. However that is only in the "pure strain" that I have seen around if they are crossed who knows what will happen here is a pic of my male and 2 of his girls.. Male on the right.. People do call them orange zebra's too but red zeb is the most used common name even though they're orange..

redzeb.jpg

Pics would be good if you can get some, if you want you can come out and see my fish sometime when im back in NZ?

I don't work on any hard and fast rule for number of fish per X litres I just work on what works and what looks good.. How is the filtration in your tank? Its basically the same size as the tank of mine and I have a heap of fish in there but very good filtration..

The light blue bright fish might be dolphins did they look like this?

DSC00207800x600.jpg

Or this?

DSC05320800x600.jpg

All things going well I should have some dolphins for sale when im back..

Lionheads are ok with your mix, how big are they? If they're old enough to sex then they should be ok..

Diet should be mostly vege based food, spirilina flake etc. I don't know the food you're using but if its rift algae sticks should be fine. I think my wife has switched mine onto that while ive been away and says it brings out their colour more etc. Variety is good I make up frozen food or feed cooked pea's etc occasionally. Main thing is because your keeping mbuna stick with vege based food and not high protein foods bloodworms etc..

Aww your pic of the red zebra are cool, I love the orange colours .. look awesome. would be keen if you have a spare female :D

i like the bottom pic with the rounded forehead, are they dolphins? so how much would you sell them for? we would be very keen on a couple of them - depending if they will be ok in with what we have and the price of course..

What is the other blue fish?

That's cool you're welcome to come see our yellows as you'll need to tell me what sex they are anyways :D

Just let us know when you're back in town.

I think your red zeb's you might have got from that auction are females? Will have to have a look and see.. I have no spare females, you will find spare females quite hard to come by because african cichlids get on better with 1m to many females so best to hang onto as many as you can to keep things in harmony..

I will have to see what dolphins I have left the photo's are of big ones my breeders which are 2-3years old (at a guess) I will have babies for sale unsure of size maybe 2-3cm's for around $6.. They don't go blue until around 5cm's either they're silver until then.. Can't guarantee whats left because its been a while but last time I saw a pic of the grow out tank there were heaps..

The other fish is a fryeri (sometimes called electric blue hap). The big tank in wetpets has some similair but I think they're crosses.

Will let you know when I am home and settled back in, have you seen the post in the clubs section about a palmy meet and greet?

Hi, cool will definitey be wanting 2 - 3 dolphins from you.

Also was looking through your pics again pic 4 - I think they are julies they are cute, they have them at wetpets at the moment - do you have any of them for sale and how much, and how big do they grow? then the pic 5 below what are the colourful red belly ones?

I think we will stop buying our fish through the lfs and start getting them from a breeder who knows what they're doing .. like you!! :)

I think we will stop buying our fish through the lfs and start getting them from a breeder who knows what they're doing .. like you!! :)

Yep, it's definately the way to go. You get cheaper fish and the knowledge that goes with them. You also get the guarantee of pure fish..... :bounce: and when it comes to African Cichlids that's worth alot IMO & E.

Yes totally agree with you .. but when we started buying the africans I didn't know anyone around here with them - so was only buying what the LFS had (which are not the nicest in colour) So I am so pleased that I was put on to FNZAS and I have learnt so much just by reading the posts .. it's great!! And hopefully will get to buy alot more africans to put in my slowly growing tank :D

I am so pleased that I was put on to FNZAS and I have learnt so much just by reading the posts .. it's great!!

I stumbled upon the forum nearly three years ago while I was doing some research and I haven't looked back since. This hobby has me well and truely sucked in :lol: :lol:

Yeah finding quality africans is pretty hard in the shops.. I can't blame them really especially the palmy stores they don't sell many so why bother stocking the higher quality more expensive ones? And if they don't sell many they don't really have the knowledge.. The pet shops there are good and as long as you know who to talk to you get good info.

I should have jullies when I get home I left a few babies who knows what is left now.. I wonder where wetpets got theres from and if they're transcriptors or marlieri?

I think the fish you're talking about are kribs kinda randomly just chucked in that tank and they were doing well might be getting rid of the pair actually as they don't really do it for me..

edit: just noticed there are cheap pairs of kribs in wanganui on trademe :)