Breeding Neons

Smax

Breeding:

the neon is an egg laying fish,the water needs to be very clean

and soft ,the eggs also seems to be light sensitive so best to keep in a small tank in a dark spot. It is a good idea to cover the sides of the tank to block out the light.Only young fish should be used for breeding and at least 5 fish (with a ratio of 2-1 males) that have been separated (put the females in the tank that will be used for spawning) for 2 days and fed some live foods. The temperature should not rise above 75 (21 to 23c) Keep a lid on this container as they will jump out. Keep the breeders together for 24 hours and then remove them. They usually spawn early in the morning.The clear eggs are laid among the plants and barely stick to them. In 22 to 26 hours the eggs hatch, the fry are very hard to spot, but appear 3-4 days later at which time they are free swimming and will need to be fed infusoria, followed ideally by microworms or brineshrimp when they are bigger.A good spawn would be 40-50 fry

I got this from here http://tropicalworld.proboards106.com/i ... thread=867

i agree with it all except...

It is a good idea to cover the sides of the tank to block out the light.

this is mandatory as the eggs and fry are light sensitive... will die with too much light

(put the females in the tank that will be used for spawning) for 2 days and fed some live foods.

make 2 days 2 weeks and also use a seperate tank for spawning. they will breed without too much hassle but if you leave them in the feeding tank they will a) be looking for food not focusing on breeding and b) it will foul the water and result in more fungused eggs/death of fry.