HEATING LIGHTING AND FILTRATION OF MANY TANKS!

StarFish

Hi All

Well; you actually get used to the layout and in as little as a week, "I", you don't even worry about it. :lol:

The water changes are also quite simple as I have a pump for pumping water to the upper tanks, and they are very easy to syphon water out of, as water does run downhill. :roll:

Water changes in the lowest tanks are just easy easy to syphon out of and refill. :wink:

The tanks on both sides of the room regardless of size have a 55 watt heater in them which is more than enough to heat the tanks; (as the heat rises through the other tanks) and also to heat the whole room which is so well insulated that my main problem is not heating the room, but keeping it at about 22 degrees.

If I didn't have heat transfer pumps in the room the temperature would rise to about 36 degrees, which happened when I first built the room.

Don't forget either that the flourescent light ballasts heat up and also add to the temperature of the room and tanks.

The heaters are only on at 10% of the time which keeps my power bill to no more than $160.00 per month for fifty tanks, even in the middle of winter.

:bow:

Hi All.

Starfish, you will notice in a couple of my Fish Room pics there are a lot of "HANG ON" Filters.

They are cheap and quick to clean and setup. :wink:

I also have a "VIA AQUA 750 PROFESSIONAL" canister filter which I move around for "BULK" quick cleaning if it's needed. That is also obvious in one of the pics.

I do not encourage "SUMPS" or other "BULK FILTRATION" methods as has been stated earlier, "IF ONE TANK GETS A PROBLEM, THE WHOLE LOT DO" that is especially true with diseases becuase before you notice the ailment , all the tanks have got it.

It's like shutting the stable door, once the horse has bolted.

Keep well away. :wink:

:bow:

Thanks Amazonian I really appreciate your input.

Im not sure if we will even go for a 'fish room' yet because I wanted to see how easy it would be.

I think I will wait until the day we own our own home and will ensure that we buy a house that has a 'special' room for our fishys.

in the meantime we are busy filling up our third large tank and counting!

I dont think I could deal with the whole huge sump/filter setup so would prefer the hang over filters you are talking about anyway, we have one on our cichlid tank as well as an internal fluval. :D

Thanks heaps everyone for all your input I have learnt alot from this post and my other one about tank stands, as we have now made our very own cheap as chips stand YAY :D

for $2.41 per concrete block and a bit of recycled slat wood, we have produced a very effective cheap stand!

Star^<><