skimmer air pipes

chimera

Just a thought,... my deltec in-sump skimmer has 2 air-tubes running down to the pumps. when first powering it up, I have to blow into them to get the pumps "primed" and start airflow going. i dont have a UPS yet to keep the skimmer going in the event of a power-cut (it would have to be quite a high VA = expensive) as a workaround, would there be any problem hooking up a cheap air-pump to the skimmer intakes to have it sort of "self-prime" when power comes back on? would the air-pump "pushing" air (as opposed to the skimmer pumps sucking the air) cause issues?

already done this - very thoroughly with white vinegar - made a huge difference to one of the pumps too. the pumps are submerged so there will be water in the tubes when the skimmer is submersed (and switched off). when it starts, i dont believe the pump has enough power to suck air down and spit the current water sitting in the pipes out hence the reason for an air-pump to assist it.