Smudgy Red Zeb. Causes?

MarkLB

Hi all.

I got 4 Metriaclima estherae, Red Zebra, a while back and one had a black smudge on its forehead and face when I got it. I thought it may have been diet related and may fade but it hasn't. What causes this? Someone told me ages ago that the males have it. True or not? Or is it caused by too much inbreeding? I know some E.yellows can show a 'shadow' on the face because of indiscriminate breeding. The other 3 fish , and the older one that I already had, are clean and brighter.

This is with flash and makes it look worse than it is....

Smudge1.jpg

Without flash.....

Smudge.jpg

my red zebs have developed small dark blotches when i ahve feed them spirulina based foods, it did fade after several weeks of not feeding them that type of food. your pics look more like they have rubbed themselves on something dirty, are they brown nosers when i comes to feeding? :D

my red zebs have developed small dark blotches when i ahve feed them spirulina based foods, it did fade after several weeks of not feeding them that type of food. your pics look more like they have rubbed themselves on something dirty, are they brown nosers when i comes to feeding? :D

Hi smidey.

I know what you mean about the spirulina. I had some dots on a Red Zeb earlier this year and posted pics. You correctly identified the problem then and I fixed it up by changing the diet, so that won't be the cause this time.

It is a bit of a brown noser. It's trying to get my attention now, but then again they all are :lol: Feed us....feed us...feeed us :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Red zeba should have red eyes. If it's a cross it may still have the red, but if it doesn't, then you know for sure.

The eyes are saying it's a cross. They are black. All my other Red Zebs have red eyes.

Smudgey.....

Blackeyecross.jpg

One of my other Reds

RedeyeZeb.jpg

So I guess it's bye bye Smudgey.