new tank holes

chimera

friction is the word he used but yeah, he meant bends and elbows etc

i still think an ocean runner is a good high-throughput pump (from what i've read) perhaps the ocean runner "love daddy" 6500 (1,400gallons/hr or 6,500 litres per hour) would be the go. the only reason i want it submersible is so i dont have to add a hole to the bottom of the 3 foot sump for an Iwaki to plumb up too. If it comes to it, its not a major though...

Does anyone have any links to sites where it actually states how much heat dissipation a typical pump like this produces or information on effects of water temperature from high output, submersible pumps?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

friction is the correct word. Pumps will come with a wattage rating. I'd guesstimate a water pump (mag drive), taking into account head etc would be around 40-30% efficient, so if you've got a 100watt submersible pump, it's like having a always on 60-70Watt heater.

Layton

Friction is not the right word, resistance maybee.

Iwaki/Grunfos (sp) have a reputation is the aquirum trade for being able to shift large volumes of water at increased head, something that hobby pumps are not able to do as efficiently.

I have no experance with the OR pumps, and people use them a lot of UR for closed loops and sump returns for under cabinet sumps. Not sure that many (not many if any) people use these style of pumps in remote sumps.

You don't need to drill a hole to run external pumps, but they will work better if not 'sucking' from the inlet, but you can run them inline by dragging the water up. I have read that this causes cavitations (and thus air bubbles in the water stream) but have not experanced this my self.

Big PUMPS!

Pieump

Friction IS the correct word, though not commonly used in this context. When you have an elbow joint for example, the friction is greater when the water hits the opposite side of the joint, and is forced to change direction. Friction is a function of the perpendicular force between two surfaces (ie: surface of the water and the elbow), so with the water hitting at a greater velocity, the friction is greater, and the pump has to work harder, or the flow is reduced.

Layton

The bend increases the pressure but not because of friction, its got little to do with the water rubbing against the walls of the pipe. If it was a 'closed loop' pump (pump gets equal pressure from the intake as oposed to working against gravity in a sump return) the number of bends and elbows doesn't make any difference to the water flow at all, friction is the only factor that slows things down.

Pies

yes elbows etc can increase the hydrostatic pressure, which also reduces flow. But friction also comes into it. I think you will find that the flow in a closed loop will reduce when you add more and more elbows into the plumbing, due to friction.

Elbows / bends reduce flow due to friction. They may also reduce flow by increasing hydrostatic pressure, but they may not, it all depends on the configuration. One thing is for sure, they will ALWAYS reduce flow due to friction.

Layton

ok, so the underlying question I had before was how much (what distance) can an Iwaki suck?! If I get one, I'll obviously mount it as close to the sump as possible but it still has to suck the height of the tank before it pushes water up about 2 metres or so. Do these pumps have any spec's to indicate an approximate mounting position/how much they suck? (dont take that wording the wrong way :D )

Mine was sucking up about 600mm but it could easliy suck more, the only thing is that it must be 'wet' to start, it can't self prime. Easy to do.

Since your starting out though, drill it. Easier and safer.