Aquarium Controller

lduncan

• 5 months later...

Funny you should ask, I managed to get some work done on it today. The first time for months. The next step it to get a circuit board manufactured (overseas) so I can put together a prototype with more memory so i can finish writing the software.

Layton

• 3 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas! Well now that I have some more time to work on this project, I thought scene my website is no longer up, i'd list the feature planned for the controller, if anyone has any other features which they would like to add, feel free to let me know.

Interface:

128 x 64 pixel graphic display

Can be administered through a web interface (similar to a jetstream router)

Connectors:

Ethernet (for network/internet connection)

USB (for eventual interfacing to a webcam to provide video stream of the tank over the internet)

1-Wire port, used to interface Dallas 1-wire devices, such as temperature probes switches, etc.

12 digital inputs for float switches over temperature sensors etc.

12 digital outputs for controlled power sockets.

8 analogue inputs for pH probes and other Ion Selective Electrodes.

Alarm Notifications:

Email

SMS

Audible Siren

Currently I'm waiting on some new processors from the states so I can put together a new prototype with more memory so I can finish writing the software.

Layton

• 2 weeks later...

PIC Arghhh! Definately not, I hate them. At the moment it's on an AVR mega128, but looking seriously at an ARM7 processor, just to beef it up, if it has to handle video streaming in the future.

I've just ordered a whole lot of parts for some prototypes, got the DS1820 1-wire temperature sensors last week. I put together a temp controller over the weekend, just tuning the control algorithm this week. I'll get some photo's up tomorrow, when my camera arrives back.

Layton

Sounds cool. I built a very simple little device using 4 comparators, an LM35 temp sensor and an ADC all hooked up to a big PC fan. There are 4 thresholds: cold alarm, heater on, fan on, hot alarm. If the temp exceeds the fan on temp, the little fan is enough to drop the temp. If too hot or too cold, it (once wired) fires a loud alarm. The heater on signal (once wired) will switch a 240V heater on.

So far so good.

Looking forward to see your pics! Speaking on which, I am going to take the next step from components and invesitgate PICs this year :)