PH Meter

johnny

Hi all

I hope I'm not breaking the rules but...

It's not that I'm discussing TM but I want to know about the product.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 114276.htm

Anyway, what are these PH meters like?

Whats the easiest way to do ph tests?

Is the old test tube way still the go or do these things simply add h20 and you get a reading or is it more complecated that that?

Cheers

They work fine as long as you keep them maintained and calibrate them often. Sorry to burst the TM bargain bubble but you can buy them at your local DSE for that price and with a warranty - they're often on special down from $120 - but if you're in a rush go for it.

Looks like you can't change the probe, for that price i would not expect it either.

Just be aware you may only get about a year out of it.

If you are really wanting good results you would need to calibrate it every time you use it. A lage part of the cost will be the buffers.

We just brought a probe worth about $900.00 these get replaced every 6 - 9 months and they calibrated daily.

Looks like you can't change the probe, for that price i would not expect it either.

Just be aware you may only get about a year out of it.

If you are really wanting good results you would need to calibrate it every time you use it. A lage part of the cost will be the buffers.

We just brought a probe worth about $900.00 these get replaced every 6 - 9 months and they calibrated daily.

What are you doing with your probe for it to need replacing that often?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I use a pH tester daily in the Fish Room and I've had it for three years now. :wink:

I had it recalibrated two months ago and was told that it was perfect and didn't need adjusting but did I want a calibration Certificate? 8)

The calibration was done by the CAWTHRON INSTITUTE.

I imported the units for resale but have kept them as the local DSE sells a unit for $49.00 which you can throw away if you arent happy with it's accuracy.

The imported units were going to be about $75.00.

REPLACING ELECTRODES EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS---WHAT A LOT OF RUBBISH.

THE ELECTRODES ARE DESIGNED TO LAST THE LIFE OF THE METER.

:bow:

Hi All

I use a pH tester daily in the Fish Room and I've had it for three years now. :wink:

I had it recalibrated two months ago and was told that it was perfect and didn't need adjusting but did I want a calibration Certificate? 8)

The calibration was done by the CAWTHRON INSTITUTE.

I imported the units for resale but have kept them as the local DSE sells a unit for $49.00 which you can throw away if you arent happy with it's accuracy.

The imported units were going to be about $75.00.

REPLACING ELECTRODES EVERY COUPLE OF MONTHS---WHAT A LOT OF RUBBISH.

THE ELECTRODES ARE DESIGNED TO LAST THE LIFE OF THE METER.

:bow:

Ask Cawthron how offen they replace there probes???? I think you will find it more offen than you think.

We change ours ever 6 - 9 months, but this does depend on the probe and what it is being used for. I never said every couple of months.

Some of the probes are used to test upwards of 50 samples a day.

The probe i was talking about is used to test low ionic strengh samples which are not easy to test.

You should really calibrated probes every day depending on number of samples and how many you are testing.

or at least check with some known buffers.

No need to send them away, just buy three buffers.

I am also talikng of lab ph meters/probes. The aquarium ones are cheap, this is not to say they don't work.

In regards to the question asked i was just trying to point out that you could spend $50 - $60- $80 and find it to not last as long as one may think.

A standard ph kit may be just as good, because at the end of the day you are only wanting to know if it is within a desired range say 6 - 6.5 etc