Driftwood staining the water?

Floater

Will take a long time for it to stop leeching tannins, The tannins are actually good for the water and you can put it in your tank now if you dont mind the colour.

Currently don't have any fish in the tank as I just put water in it today. How is it good for the water? What about the fish? (future fish) Also you got any idea how long it takes for chlorine to evaporate out of the water?

Currently don't have any fish in the tank as I just put water in it today. How is it good for the water? What about the fish? (future fish) Also you got any idea how long it takes for chlorine to evaporate out of the water?

Tannins from drift wood are preferred by some fish - especially any of them that come from places like the Amazon River where tannins leach naturally into the water. It is likely to keep the water nice and 'soft' for them. It certainly won't harm other fish.

The length of time it takes to leach the tannins depends on a whole lot of factors - the size of the wood, its density, the type of tree it came from, how long it has been submersed before you got it...

Personally I like the look of slightly tea-stained water and I would put the wood in the tank right away and leave it in there while you are planting, cycling etc. Depending on how big it is, you can build a very attractive aqua-scape around it.

Chlorine is a whole other subject! In part, it depends how much chlorine was in the water when it came out of the tap. Also if you are aerating the water, the chlorine will dissipate more quickly. If it's left out in the sunshine it will go even faster.

You can also buy lots of different products that are designed to take the chlorine out of the water instantly. Personally I use them simply for convenience.

I agree with the others, the leeching process can be accelerated by boiling it in a big pot for 1/2 hr drain and repeat(for a small piece of wood) or chuck it in a hot bath (no bubble bath:P) to soak, drain, soak a few times.

Unless you have africans, go with the stained water, do regular water changes and it will go away in about a month or 2