Hello from very wet Waikanae

Biddy

Hello all - just registered - found the forum a few days ago whilst googling for affordable pond liners!

I live just N of Waikanae on 2 acres of very sandy old beach dunes about 1k from sea. Have just dug a 5m x 3m figure of 8 type pond in back yard. 2 deep sections approx 50cm and 80 cm rest shallowing to edges.

After reading a few posts re pond liners I went to my local Crightons today and picked up a 7m x 4m piece of builders polythene (250 microns thick) for $28!! Talk about a bargain.

Have filled pond today - the rain sure helped and would welcome advice as to what to put in it!

My ideal would be to have fish of some sort - probably a few goldfish to start, a lily or 2, something to oxygenate and ultmately some other wildlife - frogs, invertibrates, etc. Anyone with good advice for low maintenance interest for the family? Also low cost is preferable (as you can tell from my penny pinching pond liner purchase!

Idea is to have a variety of borders - decking, boulders, pebbles, sand etc in distinct areas around the edge and ultimately a twee bridge going across the thin bit.

Will post pics soon if anyone interested.

Cheers

Mike

Hi and welcome Biddy. You may be able to have some natives and koura(I think thats how you spell it). Then have some lillies and frogs (my idea of an awesome pond) 8) .

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I'm new to home aquatic stuff although 20 years ago I did graduate from London University with a degree in Marine and Freshwater Biology! (have been in sales ever since so forgotten everything!)

Native shrimp sound good - presumably they'll need a gravelly substrate?

I guess it's got to be a good thing to provide a number of different environments? Sandy areas, gravelly bits, rocks to hide under etc?

imo go for bright goldfish in a pond, they grow fast breed even faster and can be seen (why have fish you bearly see), minnows are great but like whitebait in a pond, not good for much other than livefood imo.

otherwise sounds great be nice to see some pics if you get a chance :lol:

Hi & welcome!

Look forward to your pics!

There are quite a few people who have ponds so I know you'll get lots of help. Caryl put in a mini lake in her yard :o

Take care & have fun,

Caper