Recipe ideas?What does everyone feed their cichlids?

sorcha

Hi there,

I have a tank of central american type cichlids and a mixed african tank.

I seem to be going through the food like theres no tomorrow!! :o

I've been feeding a mixture of flake, cichlid pellets & granules, algae/spirulina tabs & other complete sinking tabs & cichlid sticks, frozen fish food from wet pets and occasionally cooked peas, frozen shrimp,frozen brine shrimp & very occasionally frozen bloodworms.

Does anyone know any homemade recipes that I could make up? I have tried but they don't like it & it messes up the water, also what sort of veges etc will they eat? Lastly I assume it's better to but pre made food in bulk or from trade me?

Any advice, ideas would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Cheers

Sarah

Yeah food sucks its soo expensive and you can go through alot..

I make my homemade food use some shrimp, some pea's, lettuce, garlic and whatever other vege's I can find, all the vege's are cooked.

While the vege's are cooking I blend up the frozen shrimp then drain the vege's and add them too, then blend it all up. The trick to keeping it together is adding gelatine to make it set and also not blending it to a pulp unless your feeding it to baby fish..

Once your done you can stick it to fish bags flatten it out and stick it in the freezer and just break off chunks stick them straight in your tank.

You can try the popular european shrimp mix for african cichlids. I had a go at making this a couple of weeks ago with some additions. I added some cooked mussels, spirilina flake and instead of peas, I used a packet of mixed veges (peas, corn, carrot) that I found in the freezer. Looking back, i think using corn was a mistake :oops: It ended up being quite pulpy no matter how much I tried to blend it and the cichlids didn't like it and were spitting it out with made a mess of the tank.. :evil:

Cooked spuds and carrots are also good to add :) My fish love it, but be warned it can be messy so don't feed too much and if your fish are used to pellets and flake they take a while to get the taste of the frozen food.. I find when I get a new fish who obviously hasn't had anything like it they just sit there looking at it for upto a week and get a bit skinny until they figure it out..