co2 cylinder in Auckland

ljtan55

Im just setting up my co2 system, and have got all the bits and pieces, but still waiting on the cylinder atm. Just a quick couple of questions, any disadvantages of buying a second hand cylinder? or would I be better to rent one? And where would I do both in Auckland? Thanks!

Highly recommend buying a reconditioned ex-fire extinguisher as a CO2 bottle. A 3.5kg cylinder should run you about $250 with a test and cert good for 5 years. Refills are generally $7/kg ($25 for a 3.5kg bottle). Both the cylinder and refills should be easily obtained from your local cylinder service station. Prices vary from region to region but these are the Wellington prices and usually higher than Auckland.

Renting a cylinder will cost you less initially but will cost you quite a bit in the long run and you have to turn the cylinder back in. Check with BOC and Rockgas about renting a cylinder.

In the end let us know where you went, what it cost and how things went.

Cheers!

I can recommend Precision Cylinder Testing in Grey Lynn for a cylinder. If you have a look in the Yellow Pages under cylinder testing you will find their details. They recondition and certify old fire extinguishers, I got a 3.5kg with valve, cert, and a fill from them. A fill costs about $10 a go. The whole thing cost $200 about 18 months ago.

The guys there are really friendly and helpful, they've done quite a few cylinders for aquariums they tell me.

• 1 month later...

Hey thats where i ended up getting mine from!

I ended up getting most of my equipment from pearlingnz. Absolutely great guy, he pretty much walked me through everything, and contacted the guy for me and everything. Tank wise i coldn't be happier, the plants are growing ridiculously well, and i'm getting less algae cos of all the happy plants using it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a tank off that dude about a month ago and then got the regulator etc from pearlingnz too.

It all seems to be a better deal than a wee 350gm bottle! I like hands off, as much as is practical, especially with something as finicky as CO2!. Tank refilling every other month doesn't spin my wheels.