Showing off Dave and my newly learnt computer skills

Rufus

Hello.

Meet Dave (because he was bought on St David's day)

Hopefully you should see a photo, taken from my phone, bluetoothed to computer, mucked around with then put on Photobucket .... I feel like James Bond!

Davewb.jpg

(Yey - I think that worked....)

He has caused us all sorts of hassle today. We bought a tank and cycled it like good little fish keepers, then we planted it ..... all going well.

Today was the big day - we went to get our new Betta - Yey!!

We put him in the tank where he promptly got sucked onto the (very puny little) filter.... already cycled filter that is .... DAMN!

We have had to whizz off to the LFS to get another (even punier) filter which we now have to start from scratch and do water changes every 10 mins etc...

You must admit he is very pretty though! :wink:

First of all congrats on the new tanks and the gorgeous fighter. He really is lovely!

Bugger on him getting sucked into the filter though. How'd that happen? I recommend replacing the power filter with an air-driven sponge filter for several reasons. 1) Safety.... self explanatory. 2) Babies. You may only have one tank now but your little starter will probably someday become a home for betta fry if you get him a girlfriend and have a place to put the parents when and if they spawn. 3) Turbulence - I've seen a lot of tiny aquariums lately which have overpowered internal filters that end up turning the whole thing into a washing machine. I wouldn't wanna be stuck in rapids all my life and definitely wouldn't want my fish to be - unless they like it, that is!

I just re-read and saw you've already replaced the filter. Well, if you have problems in the future go the sponge route :)

Oh, tip for cycling - when you have a mature cycled aquarium you can easily transfer the bacteria from the old filter to the new filter by squeezing your old filter media into the new aquarium and letting the bacteria culture get into the new filter.

Rufus's wife here!

Thanks for the tip re: the filter, the lovely lady at the lfs recommended a sponge filter for the tank so that is what we have now! Rufus also squeezed the filter media from the old filter into the tank...it's good to know we are doing some things right! :bounce: