YAAAY!

Anna_&_Chris

my lil fish started to colour up =) my chilumba babies, had them since the begining of september,thats when they were spet out by my female, i had 75 of these lil buggers in one go! crazy. now they looking nice and blueish =) so cute, and they just over an inch long. can already see the dominant male . :D only sad that they already been sond.. my last 10 fish will be gone next week.. ah.. its funny how you get so attached to fish... they r like my won kids. havnt had a single death with this lot, all 75 babies were raised and sold..

its unbeliavable how long it takes them to grow and especially get some colour!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha yea i hope there will be females in there too, i can definately see a couple of males tho.. no they werent in mixed tank, they were on their own so no worries about them being mud bloods :P they are in mixed tank now though and they already spet out another batch into the tank, i hope they will just get eaten...

Sweet well obviously Carl wants a male or 2 so it should be sweet :) Cheers I was hoping you had them in there own tank obviously breeding in a mixed tank isn't good and if this was the case I wouldn't touch the females, have you considered selling your female chilumba? Have heard any females in a mixed male tank increase aggression as all the males fight and she can have a hard time :)

uhm ive only got two males that get a bit bad moody sometimes, but noone actually fights. and the female seems to be calm as always.. i would probably sell her but im too used to her you know.. =) i had her from the begining ... and shes about 6-7 years old.. and her males would prolly go crazy if she goes =) they ALWAYS together,even like swiming next to each other pretty much at al times. i mentioned sumwhere that i thought they were life time couple, he doesnt let anyone near her. i wonder how do i stop them from breeding...

Oh yeah fair enough, any chance of getting a descent pic of the male and female? I thought that chilumba's had only been around in NZ for the last 2 or so years thats when they started showing up anyway.. It is possible they were in earlier..

What did you buy your pair as? Chilumba? Or the very similair Royal blue?

we were told it was royal blue, but then after a while we figured out its a chilumba, people came and looked and said it was 100% chilumba... uhm go to freshwater tanks theres a pic of my fish under peacock only tank.

also ken has same as ours but a bit smaller and ours is exactly the same but big so...

Hmm sorry to say that I think it does look Royal blue to me.. Your fish looks deeper in the body and a different shape to the chilumba I have and have seen. Maybe others will add an opinion, someone who breeds royal blues?

Heres some of the pics

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... 1201755317

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... 1201755271

And these are the photos of the chilumba that are around nz..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/chilumba.php

Id say if your brought them as royal blues 5-6 years ago thats what they are as royal blues have been around for ages, and a few of the best breeders didn't have chilumbas until they were imported 2 or so years ago. It always pays not to change the name of fish you buy as you have sold them now and what do people have? fish you brought as royal blues but decided were chilumba's? It doesn't really matter as they're all stuartgranti but now for example I wont touch them for breeding and now people will be passing on royal blues as chilumba's because thats what you brought them as..

Yeah ive got a male from Ken too which is different to the one that anna&chris have in the photo.

To me the one that anna&chris has looks like a royal blue especially considering thats what it was brought as 6-7years ago.. They are very similair though both being blue all over.

Who knows im just saying that there is no point in changing what you've brought a fish as and selling it, if you buy a fish as royal blue and nothing about it isn't royal blue why change what you call them and sell them, now everyone who breeds from those fish will sell them as chilumba's when they're not and it leads to confusion down the line..

nah the female looks like that on the pic that you posted here and my male looks exactly as that kens one when mine is trying to impress the female. royal blues are dif in shape from my peacock so i doubt that hes a royal blue.. coz the guy that i bought it from wasnt sure himself. i cant remember his name anymore. he didnt seem to know much abotu cichlids at all. and ive talked to ken and all that and he says its a chilumba. also anyone else who i asked said it was a chilumba and ive seen royal blues too and they look different.. so i still stick to it being a chilumba. so im pretty confident is it. on pics hes got his fins down and the picture was taken in funny angle so maybe you cant really tell , he looks exactly like the one that on that pic here. when he has his fins up. anyway whats the point of arguing.

The point of discussing is you renamed your royal blue a chilumba, chilumba's have only just come into the country, whereas your royal blues were purchased 6-7years ago. I dont care as I wont touch them now but I feel for the people who have purchased the fish off you already and maybe paid too much for royal blues if I had purchased them I would be angry.

Bottom line is you brought them as royal blues (you think) unless they obviously aren't then thats what they should stay. I could just change the names of any of my juvvie uncoloured peacocks to the "in" peacock to try and get a few more $$ but to me thats ripping people off.

End of the day your fish to me are dead ringers of royal blues which are still nice fish so im confused as to why you decided to call them chilumba's?

so you acusing me now in trying to get more money for my fish?? i put 5 dollars start price and let people bid whatever they think they will pay for them. thats al i did. i didnt change the name coz i think they nicer or whatever i havnt had any reasons whatsoever. i just changed the name coz i am sure it is a chilumba. i feel wrong if i call it royal blue. I saw royal blues, many of them trying to make sure that mine is but i just couldnt coz he simply wasnt.when i just got him i told i have a royal blue, but then sumone would show me his royal blue and be like does this look like yours but it wouldnt?so what would i say yes when it didnt? You cant really judge you havnt seen my fish live up close so how can you tell just by a bad picture? and be so sure you rite and acusing me in ripping people off? thats not very nice. If you think i am wrong and selling the wrong stuffd and dont want your friend to buy it fine just tell him not to someone else will.

No I was just saying that I get sick of people doing what you have done, chilumbas are very new in nz you said you got yours pretty much unidentified 6-7years ago and they dont look like the chilumba's I have (your pic may be bad but from the looks of it to me the fish is a different shape).

Things like this make peacocks in NZ get all muddled up and dilute the fish stocks here and confuse people, technically unless you got the fish with a speciffic name from a descent breeder or direct off the wholesale list bagged (not mixed with other peacocks in a shop tank) you cant really id them just going around saying they look like your mates fish which is this or that wont cut it as the females could have been anything.

Anyway rant over :) I just dont like to see people ripped off like I was when someone did the same to me. To breed and sell them you really have to know what you have otherwise you have to sell them as "blue peacocks" and no name because you don't actually know what it is..

Good point :)

Difference with them is

1.) Maleri golds are in the country, when chilumba's weren't when she purchased the parents.

2.) Batches of babies have been grown out and coloured up the same as parents before they were sold as such.

3.) Red shoulders and maleri gold are completly different fish so I wasn't just changing the name for nothing.

You can call me what you want :) But im trying my best to breed descent well identified fish, and I was about to kill all the babies from those batches until a friend who is right into her africans and knows what she's doing came over and saw them and agreed with my identifiication, I got a batch of them grown out and the males were the same as the male parent, females all had straight bars etc etc..

End of the day im just glad that I didn't bid on your auction and buy some of these to get a female to breed with my male as I would have been gutted as they grew out and I realized they weren't chilumba's.

People will id and call their fish what they want I guess, and I guess its just knowing who to buy them off :)

Theres nothing to say that at all :) There are all sorts of things floating around the country that shouldn't be here and that some people have no idea about..

However they are very few and far between im just saying her fish look more like royal blues to me but who is to say the royal blues I have seen aren't chilumba's because someone else misnamed them?

you know what i was just thinking, its quite sad. how people always arguing about knowing more about fish, who knows more who doesnt. seriously im sure so many people were put off fish keeping because of some smart people trying to show off their knowledge. i keep them not for what they are but because i like what they look like. hybrid, not hybrid,OB not OB, chilumba royal blue, who cares? i like him would he be electric blue. most people who buy my fish dont expect it to be anything. some people ask me a question on my auction saying : is it marine or freshwater??? :lol: