axolotls need daphnia bloodworms live

DantezGirl

• 2 weeks later...

What I did was get a rubbish bin (yano the big round bins most people keep outside), filled it with water outside, any leftover lettuce went straight in to it, gradually I had to feed it more and more to keep the water green (was quite impressive how good daphnia are at filteration!!!!).

Was taking solid netfulls out daily, but the more daphnia I wanted the more rotten lettuce I had to chuck in.

What I did was get a rubbish bin (yano the big round bins most people keep outside), filled it with water outside, any leftover lettuce went straight in to it, gradually I had to feed it more and more to keep the water green (was quite impressive how good daphnia are at filteration!!!!).

Was taking solid netfulls out daily, but the more daphnia I wanted the more rotten lettuce I had to chuck in.

cool thanks for that tip can i add anything else or just lettuce

do you put a lid on it or not is it best in direct sunlight or shade

Actually, the best food for daphnia is animal droppings, particulary chicken cow or horse (but be careful with horse poo as it carries TB or something). I use milk as it goes off quickly and creates a nice bacterial bloom which creates a population explosion a day or two later, but there's a really great article from caudata on feeding, if you want to have a quick read -

http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

L046 zebra pleco :) They are in NZ and there are rumours of them being bred, I have seen them sell for $1000+ on tradme, they used to be one of those mildly expensive pleco's in your LFS $100-200ea but they were overfishing them in their native lands and all exports etc got canned so now they're pretty rare and sought after internationally..