Tufa Rock?

sorcha

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I am trying to raise the pH in my tank, have heard tufa rock is good for this & light, anyone know where you can get it from? Have also been using limestone, oyster shell, coral sand, our tap water is very acidic which doesn't help!

Any advice appreciated. :)

What you're already using should work, are you trying to raise it faster?

You could use baking soda to get the pH of your tap water quickly to round what you want before adding it to your tank and keep using the shells, limestone or coral sand to buffer the water in your tank to stop it drifting.

Hi thanks for that :)

Checked the pH last night and finally it was where I want it! lol, I had a tiny bit of wood in the tank so maybe that had been the problem.

I was also wanting to add lots of rocks for hiding places etc but find that the limestone is really heavy which was why I thought tufa sounded good, but i've added some pumice which seems ok and is light :)

Cheers

Hiya, tufa is only slightly lighter than limestone - mostly because of the amount of hollows in it.

You can drill holes in limestone if it is soft enough - make sure you wear eye/ear protection though.

Pumice can look great - and can also be carved to suit. I have more limestone if you want it, including smaller pieces.