scooter blenny tail missing

candy

Tank lights just flicked on and i noticed our little scooter blennys tail is missing. The flesh looks ok and it just looks like the fin has been ripped off. Dont know what to do. Help

He is the only fish in the tank. Other tank mates are one hermit crab and one cleaner Shrimp?

Any ideas. He is looking pale. Is there anything i can do to promote it to heal?

What type of powerheads do you have? When my blenny existed (he disappeared) he used to sit inside the outlet of my UV sterilizer, and perch up on my powerheads. Could be highly likely he's put his tail in a place where it should'nt have been.

I'm not sure of the temprement of hermits (i'd love to have one myself, i'd pay good $$ for one) but if the blenny has decided to back into a hole where the hermit was, perhaps its had a nibble? I still think its more likely the first one, or a dirty hiding crabby bastard.

Just make sure he's well fed, try and keep some nori (sushi seaweed) in the tank whenever possible for him to nibble on. Mine loved the stuff

i have never seen him on my power head but thats an idea. The hermit is pretty well behaved and i have never seen him anoying his tank mates...

No crabs in my tank. Think i would of spoted one in the whole 80l if there was one.

I guess just keeping water quality up and him well fed is all i can realy do.

They can slowly decline if there is not enough of the right food in the tank.

But if it's fat and well fed could rule that one out but another possibility is water quality, if you are able, would pay to check salinity, ammonia, and nitrate, and also that the tank is aerated properly, and hasn't been getting too hot.

Also pH, although just the correct alkalinity and aeration will ensure pH is OK.

Is the edge of the fin where it is missing nice and clean looking, or infected looking?

Hope it gets better, let's know how it goes! :D

Thanks for the reply wasp and others.

He seems to be doing ok. The tail end is nice and clean looking and he is still actively swimming around the tank. His color is back to normal and he even rased his top fin at me this morning and pulled a face.

Went mad over the brine shrimp as normal and i will see if he likes nori once i find a rock to hold it down. Good thing i work in a food shop :) its extra cheep for me.

I checked my water and its all correct. And the temp is pretty stable as i have a fan over the top on a timer. Might do more frequent water changes so it stays that way.

Let just cross our fingers he keeps eating and being happy and it grows back.