Newbie questions

Aaron

damn i cracked up at your replies. touchy touchy, all on the measurement of a "hand". i was basing my handful (not pixie and not troll - an adult *human* hand) on my 3 foot (130 litre) tank so ok, perhaps a little more than required for a 2 foot tank. you can then argue is that flat or a mound of rock salt :D lets measure in tablespoons - my 'handful' is about 3 or 4 tablespoons.

there have been scientific tests done that states that salt i freswater tanks attacks the gills and respitory system in fish so i say if you want to suffocate your fish dont bother with the salt just throw them out the back on the lawn

i have been adding a 'handful' of salt every 2 week water change to my tank for the last 7 years and I dont see dead fish so have no idea what you're on about - i wouldnt believe everything you read.

Chimera, I use dechlorinators in my water when I do partial water changes (about 15% weekly). What do you mean the "inevitable"?

Alan - I worded that wrong sorry. What i was meaning was more along the lines of adding dechlorinators without regular water changes. It just adds more chemicals to the water without removing the bad stuff - pretty much what the label on dechlorinator bottles say.

what a stir!