Gourami eats and spits out again ad nauseam

editkid

Not sure if this is a reason for concern, or just one unlucky little fish, but the male of my two Opaline Gourami has trouble keeping his food in. It was funny the first few times, but now it's just excruciating to watch.

Any food he tries to eat he spits out, grabs again, spits out, grabs again, spits out, gets stolen by a smaller fish, repeat.

He looks healthy though, just a bit more skinny than his female counterpart.

Sometimes, he'll try and eat food and will spit out the food he had eaten before, especially when I serve them pellets. If that Gourami could talk, it would be one blasphemin' little fish, I tell ya.

So, should I just let him be? Serve smaller food? Quarantine him?

Yes, well, for two days I conditioned the tank with Nutrafin Cycle before I introduced fish. I also keep it handy in case ammonium, nitrite or nitrate levels spike. I'm doing daily water tests and did a 25% water change today. Also there's a good selection of plants in the tank to keep oxygen levels up.

The tank isn't cycled yet, as such, so I guess I'm cycling with fish. It's a 100 liter tank with 2 Opaline Gourami and 6 Head Tail Light Tetra. They all seem happy and are eating well, apart from the aforementioned issue.

Yes, well, for two days I conditioned the tank with Nutrafin Cycle before I introduced fish. I also keep it handy in case ammonium, nitrite or nitrate levels spike. I'm doing daily water tests and did a 25% water change today. Also there's a good selection of plants in the tank to keep oxygen levels up.

The tank isn't cycled yet, as such, so I guess I'm cycling with fish. It's a 100 liter tank with 2 Opaline Gourami and 6 Head Tail Light Tetra. They all seem happy and are eating well, apart from the aforementioned issue.

IMO that stocking is way to quick

Cycling is not just chucking some chems in the tank and hoping it all goes well. Same situation if it spikes

You need to give your tank time for the good bacteria to build up

My 2cents

What filter you running?

Keep testing the water every day and if the levels start to rise, do a water change immediately. There is not point adding chemicals that say they cycle a tank to your tank. they are an utter waste of money.

If the gourami is hungry, it will eat. If however it has something wrong with it and it cant eat, then you need to do something about it. What that something is.... i don't know, and it will be hard to know whether its just being silly (alot of my fish spit food out all the time) or whether it indeed has problems. it it hard to diagnose if that is the only symptom

• 2 weeks later...