Help getting canister filter started, Eheim 2224

michael.qian

Hi, got the Eheim 2224 I bought from Trademe today.

Got it all setup and all pipes connected, but can't get it to start.

When I plug it in without water it goes and sounds like normal so it definitely works.

Anyway I filled the canister with water, plugged it in and it occasionaly makes a slight clicking noise, and I tried sucking as hard as I could on the outlet but it still doesn't go.

Any ideas on how to get it started?

thanks a lot

I start all mine by siphoning to fill them up. You need to set your filter up normally, but not plugged in and you should start with it empty.

Take the outlet pipe out the tank and below the level of the inlet in the tank, then suck on it starting a Typhon thorough the filter, it will take a while but the filter will fill and water will come out the outlet pipe, give the filter a shake and bang to get all the air out shut one of the taps stick the outlet back in the tank, plug the filter back in and open the tap it should go :) Good luck!

Figured out why now.

A small piece of the top half has a piece of plastic broken off right near the seal, that's where it was leaking from.

Guess I'll be asking for a refund, I can't see anyway to fix it and have no chance of finding the piece of plastic.

Gee this really sucks it was the perfect filter, but no it has to leak. :(

post a pic of the damage.. Any chance of using silicon to glue it back up? You may have to use sandpaper to rough up the edges to get the silicon to stick to the plastic but depending on the damage it might be possible, either way if id brought it broken id be feeling pretty ripped off..

Looks like you could just silicon that up rough up around it first with sandpaper and then stick the 2 sides together and let it dry it might dry and be good enough that you can take it apart and stick it together without too much hassle..

Have you contacted the seller to say it was broken? Or did it get broken at your end or in the post?

Just a couple of ideas......It looks fixable to me...what about some of that putty type stuff..I think theres a Selleys product that you can mould by hand to shape and it hardens like stone. You can then use a file and sandpaper to finish it off.

There are places that can weld plastic..........they repair bumpers etc.

Or 'bog' like used in panelbeating??

water seems to come out from there initially, but goes all around the seal and flows downwards, outside of course.

Have asked for a refund, but will try Hollywoods first see it I can fix it, because don't really want to give this filter up that easily, everything is perfect apart from the broken piece, which unfortunately stuffs the whole thing.

but even if I do put something on it to fix it, say put the stuff that harden on it, wouldn't it eventually break off due to the constant water flow past it?

The stuff I'm thinking of is waterproof....I think you can even get one that is for repairing split seams in car radiators...and its sticks like something sticky to a blanket :D