What is this cichlid??

aquab

Thats the problem with common names..

And the problem is if that person brought it as an electric blue then who knows what it is most likely a hybrid and you wont find any info on it, because you cant even put a Scientific name to it.

The fish most commonly sold as electric blue is a Sc fryeri but I have seen zebra's like the one on trademe sold in stores as electric blue's.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with these guys, from what I have been told or read most of these guys are hybrids eg mixture of who knows what and $70 is a high price to pay for who knows what, I bought a hybrid OB malawi and paid $13.00 from jansens and we only bought him because he was cheap, huge (15-18cmlong in the time we owned him) and my hubby wanted him. We had to move him to a new home as he was too big and too mean, he even started hurting our jags and they are the boss of the tank!

We also have one the same as the one in the pic and we guesses he is a male zebra due to the egg spots on his lower fin, and I paid $1 for him, we also had a red zeb and we paid $1 for her from private breeders as they were poss hybrid.

If you arent sure dont buy is probably the best way to save your money, there is always beter options some where it is just a mater of finding a good reputable breeder.

Yep thats what they're describing but its not what they're selling.. What they were selling looked like a blue zebra to me.. Thats the problem with common names people get confused and think all blue fish are electric blues.. Or people just dont know what they're talking about make up a name sell fish and the new buyer keeps that name..

Its just messy best to stick with a scientific name if your fish isn't a line bred hybrid..