Gasping for air...

fievels007

Good evening everyone...

Got home tonight and fish were all haging out at the top of the tank. There was some gunge clogging the outflow of water, so I removed that. An hour later many of the fish are still gulping at the top and those who are at the bottom are 'breathing' pretty heavily and the bristlenoses are making dashes to the top for air also.

I've put about 500mls of cold water into the tank to try an increase the oxygen...

Any other ideas?

Raise the outlet if you havent already so that its creating as much surface agitation as possible and perhaps add an airstone or two if you have one. Not sure if doing a partial w/c or not would help, doesnt tap water have a high oxygen content when its fresh?

Can you get an airstone running in the tank to create some more water movement and aeration?

Failing that you could use a jug and pour water back into the tank, just need to get some circulation going again. There may be high ammonia and low oxygen in the tank. Get the water circulating again.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah.. a part water change probably wont hurt. Tap water is under pressure so may have more dissolved gas in it as well, plus it will reduce any ammonia etc in the water.

I like to have airstones in my tanks as well as a filter, that way you have a backup if the filter stops. Not as good as the filter, but might be enough to keep your fish alive. :)

Cheers

Ian

Right... I sure have been busy over the past ten minutes! Have done a partial water change, rinsed out the filter material and raised the water outliet to increase the oxygen and movement of the water.

Fingers crossed that this solves the problem!

All fish seem to be swimming in the bottom again and nibbling at food.

Just when you think all is well and you understand your tank it throws something at you!!!