DIY Tank Backgrounds

Milet

Black mate... I paint most of the backs of my tanks plain black and reakon it looks awesome. Although my reef is a dark blue- it was like that when i bought it and I quite like it- not for a FW tank imo though. All Amano's tanks use black and all are stunning.

Sweet.

So you reckon just paint it on the tank wall? Hmm, i dont really wannapull my tank apart tho lol and its pretty tight to the wall. What sort of paint? And i could justtry painting it on poly or paper etc ay?

Can you easily access the back of your tanks?

I have used that stick on stuff for lining draws and cupboards from Mitre10 - black of course, not the wood grain or floral pattern one!! Mind you, it depends on how large your tank is, I think it is only about 450mm wide.

And you have to make sure you get all the air bubbles out, too.....

EDIT... should read your posts properly...

If you can't get in behind, try going to an art supply shop and getting some core board. This is used for mounting stuff on, and is black with a dense sponge centre. It is about 6mm thick and comes in sheets about 1m square. You can cut it to size with a stanley knife or similar, and just pop it in behind with some double sided tape. I also use this to sit my tanks on because I don't like the look of polystyrene.

I realise its not what you are asking, but I made a moss wall for the back of my tank. Worked really well (too well actually! The moss grows out too far in my wee tank)

Got a plastic cross stitch backing type thing from spotlight, lay some moss on it, and covered it with netting. Stitched netting to plastic backing, and also fitted in a few suction cups to attach it to the back of the tank. Voila, nice and natural moss wall :wink:

Don't actually have a good photo though sorry

I usually paint the back of the tank satin black using cheap spraypaint from supercheap auto or the warehouse. Looks great, and is dead easy, just make sure the glass is really clean!

I forgot to do my 4' before I set it up and I'm still kicking myself.