Driftwood.

Tom Gunner

I'm trying to track down some large pieces of driftwood.

Does anyone know of any good places to look in the lower north island? Is there any particularly good river banks or beaches where nice pieces wash up?

Also, if anyone knows of a LFS or landscape supplier that sells quality pieces, that would also be great.

Cheers.

:D

Ive gotten most of mine from raumati or kapiti beach and streams around there, just let it soak for a month or so till pieces sank, ive gotten a few pieces from freshwater streams including a large sized one which is leaching tannins, i couldnt really soak it to get them out cuz of its size :P i dont mind tho.

Saltwater beaches etc will have often rounded pieces of smaller wood, for larger more interesting shapes streams etc can work better imo if u can find em or pet shops but they cost. Generally somewhere which has tree's close to water is best.

thats about what i know, landscaping stores do sell large pieces of wood for gardens etc u'll have to sink it tho but can give nice sized stuff :D