Temp - so whats to high

Maelgrim

Currently cycling, have air con going pretty much all day and Tank is generally between 29 and 30 (Night and day) with 30.2 being the highest I have seen. Even have the lid open. Is this bad news come time for some livestock.

I am looking at fixing a small fan across the top, plus will try dropping the Air con temp to freezing.

But interested to here peoples experience with running for long times at high temp (29+).

When your aircon is set to 22 what is the actual air temperature in your room? Almost sounds like your aircon is not keeping up with the heat.

I had the same problem, even with aircon running. I don't have lids on top of the tank and have a small pedistal fan sitting on the top of the tank, I got it from bunnings for about $25.

My tank temperature in the summer used to raise from about 26 in the morning to around 29 in the afternoon's, now it sits at around 26-27 at the most.

Daniel

and have a small pedistal fan sitting on the top of the tank, I got it from bunnings for about $25.

Huuuummmm :-? I bought a chiller for a grand :o

Up here the tank temp would easily get to above 30C in the afternoon. At the moment I have the tank sitting at 25.5 with the chiller set at 18C (Found out that the thermostat had drifted about 7deg and 25 C was actually over 30 :evil: Of course it drifted while I was on holiday over Xmas/NY. Fortunately, I didn't lose anything.

I have found in my tank that the livestock, particularly corals, start to stress at anything above 27.5 for an extended period. I am sure that there will be others that will say it is fine at that temp, but not in my experience.

starting to think that the digital thermometer has got issues (its new). I have the air con on 19 pumping out very cold air for the last 2 hours, Its night time and my half my tank lights have gone out (just blues on) and the tank has sat at 29.3 basically since I got home at 5:00pm, its now 9:15pm.

Looks like I will be getting a 2nd thermometer as well as a fan this weekend.

Chiller - yeah, trying hard to avoid that expense. Would rather shell out loads to upgrade the heatpump to a fully ducted system with outlets all over the house (and of course close to the tank) :) .

I have a couple of thermometers in my tank, nothing too flash. One is a stick on job that is next to useless and the other is one of those $10 digital display jobs which seems to be OK. I also have a mercury thermometer in a glass bulb hydrometer that I use to cross check the others on occasions (have a refractometer now - money well spent)

The chiller is a bit on the noisy side but you do get used to it. It sits in the lounge next to the tank and makes just a bit more noise than the main pump and return. (Oh for a dedicated pumproom where everything can be hidden away)