Advice on Gouramis, Please!!

brishe

Thanks guys for all this great info!! I did a water change today, the ammonia was nil, ph had stabilised again to 7.0 and the nitrite was back to safe levels.

I have now added a media to our filter to grow "good" Bacteria to the tank. I have also added cycle and tonic salt.

When i brought the gouramis they were in a tank with another that had a big cyst on it, i shouldnt of got them, maybe that was a sign that we were going to have problems!!

Any way i will just potter along with them and maybe look into antibiotics.

I gave them a feed of blood worms today too and they really enjoyed that,but dont seem too fussed on the flake food, can you get fussy fish??

Anyway thanks for all the great information and i will keep you posted on their progress.

mine where straight blue, could have been females??? i have notice in the lfs that there is always atleast one thats looks skinny & sick & i wont buy them, they look great & give colour to your tank but they just dont seem to last. good luck with treating them.

Yes the females are more of a blue, ours have very faint stripes.

I dont know how they are going to do, but i think i have done all i can, thanks.

We have a community tank set up with three striped gouramis, one is a male and two females,

They were sold to us as gouramis from a pet store (dwarf i think) and on the net i found a picture of them and they were called red striped gouramis with the male having red stripes

Did you have the same kind (red banded) aswel?

Above are three different discriptions of your fish brishe, can you please go back to where you found them on the internet and find the scientific name.

Then post it in here on this thread, or leave the URL of it so we can have a look at it.

If you were to let us know what that is it may help with us trying to help you.

Thanks

The scientific name for these gouramis is "Colisa Lalia" Dwarf Gourami.

From the Belontiidae family.

The goramis seem alot happier and are not on the floor of the tank anymore but there is one that is just getting skinnier by the day and seems constipated.

She will scoff down blood worms which i have increased to every second day to try and fatten her up but i think we will lose her.

When i offer flake food she will have one or two mouthfuls then swim off.

The water levels are fine.

Brought spirulina flake food today to try and ease constipation, but she wasnt keen, have also tried mashed peas.

I feel we are at a stop now with her, the others seem ok now.

• 4 weeks later...