New Tank - Cycle Questions

Maelgrim

Hi

Finally have the tank up and going (plumbing etc took a while to sort out).

So its just started cycling (2 days ago).

I have the non live rock from HFF which should mean cycling will take a number of weeks (6 or so I guess).

Is there anything I should do to help the process e.g tip in some amonia, chuck in a dead shrimp or add fish food ?

Should I bother with the lights on while cycling ? (currently off)

Also the water has yellowed quite a bit, I believe this is normal. Will a bag of carbon in the sump clear that ? and should I worry about it during the cycle phase (I guess its just asthetics).

Cheers for your help

Most dry rock is pretty dirty anyway so provides plenty of food for bacteria to start with. My advice is to let it do its own thing for a few weeks and then add a bit of mussel or something to increase the capacity of the system. My philosophy :lol: is that the more we intervene in the natural process the more we have to keep intervening (says the man with a whole heap of stuff bought to reduce the amount of manual intervention!).

Most dry rock is pretty dirty anyway so provides plenty of food for bacteria to start with. My advice is to let it do its own thing for a few weeks and then add a bit of mussel or something to increase the capacity of the system. My philosophy :lol: is that the more we intervene in the natural process the more we have to keep intervening (says the man with a whole heap of stuff bought to reduce the amount of manual intervention!).

Yeah that sounds good, there is certainly some crap still stuck to the rocks - although I did try and wash most of it off prior.

have a basic liquid test kit that will cover the essentials for a while. And yes do have a skimmer (reef octopus NW-150 otp

) which has only really just been turned on

only problem so far is a humming noise from the return pump which I have dampened down quite alot so isn't to bad now

Ehiem pumps are normally pretty quiet, is it new? Check your impella and shaft for wear.

Yeah its new, I don't think the pump is making the noise but rather the plumbing I have going into it. It seems to be vibrating alot. Its mainly flexi fluval piping with a few joins to fit in a non return valve. I have wrapped the piping in some rubber matt stuff which helps.

I wonder if using some hard piping would make it better or worse

Ive read a bit on sump noises and it seems to be a bit of a black art in trying to reduce noise.