swimming bta

davidb

hey my bta seems to like jumping of rocks and landing face down(tentacles down!) on the sand. The peculiar thing is that he generally only does it just after my metal halide has powered down in the late afternoon. The rest of the day he seems to be happy sitting in one spot... I am getting really concerned even though I have done alot of reading on the subject. He seemed really happy today and he had wedged his foot right in a crevasse for the last 48 hours with only his tentacles protruding. Have you people got any suggestions- I have tried decreasing the direct flow over him, and increasing the direct flow to no avail. he only seems happy with medium flow however he still like jumpin off the rocks... is he hungry maybe?

ok I'll try that steve. I was starting to think he had settled in after 48 hours in one place but he has started his acrobatics again. I was about to pm you actually incase you didn't hear my pleas for help! I will try as you say with te food once he has settled down again. what food do you suggest? mussel pieces, frozen food or something different? cheers mate

he is still floating round the tank. he attaches for 5 or ten mins then starts floating again. I have smelt him to see if he is decomposing and he doesnt smell bad... He seems verrry big though- he is fully expanded so that none of his tentacles touch each other. I can see his mouth clearly and it appears normal...

i still think it is just moving around

sounds like what mine did, sort of inflates to the max to make the most of the currents etc, rotating and turning etc.... i would just enjoy it, not much else you can really do anyway if there is a problem.

Mine also would settle during the day and then take up its wandering in the low light and lights out. Probably feels less threatened when the lights are out, then I spose well all do..... :oops:

What's happened is he has been removed from the rock he was on, transported, & put in your tank.

To his bta way of looking at the world, getting pulled off his rock means his environment is not very safe, best to move on. To do this he can walk, or he may blow up like a balloon and float. The worst thing for you to do is to try to "help", by re-positioning him in what you think is a better spot. This intervention just tells him he is still in a dangerous place & should move. They do move more at night, perhaps in the wild this is a safer option.

You have to let him go through this without interfering until he settles. Just keep flow medium & pump intakes covered in foam. When he finally does settle, if it is not a place to your liking, leave him there anyway for a couple of months. Then you can gently move him.

Sorry I meant 5%. the anenome is looking ok at the moment thanks guys- he smells a little but i'm not too concerned as he does not show any waro r tear. I am just going to let him float areound the tank as much as he wants until he finds a place he wants... i figure that since i do not have any expensive corals in there he should be fine drifting around. I just get a little concerned when he is sitting upside down on the sand- thats all...

I'm starting to get annoyed! and I don't get annoyed easially!!! This morning when I woke up he was attached to the side of a powerhead. it doesn't look like he is damaged. I did have sponge over the intakes which was lucky. Anyhow, I turned off the powerhead and unattached it and put it on a piece of rock on the bottom. hopefully my anenomene realises that rock is his natural habitat- Not a plastic powerhead!!!

ammonia which is reading 0.25 so I will just do a small water change

Needs to be zero. I would do a much bigger water change and keep doing them until it is zero.

This morning when I woke up he was attached to the side of a powerhead. it doesn't look like he is damaged. I did have sponge over the intakes which was lucky. Anyhow, I turned off the powerhead and unattached it and put it on a piece of rock on the bottom.

You need to leave it alone. If it attaches to the powerhead again, turn it off and leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is damage its base when you are trying to move it. Anemones go were they want to go. You manage it from there. Don't try and feed it anything big. Try brine shrimp delivered with a syringe - only a little bit and only when the anemone is inflated.

I wouldn't bother trying to feed it at all, unless it is bleached it doesn't need to be fed and the feeding will just add to your water quality problems.

I have had my BTA for around 6 months and every couple of weeks it still goes for a walk round the tank. I have 3 other more diffficult anenomes that never move.

I think you need to just leave it along to do its thoing and work on improving your water quality, this may just mean do water changes and waiting for the cycle to finish. You might also want to reduce how much you feed you fish to help with the water.

Ok thats not as big a problem, however the anenome is going to go where its wants to not where you want it to. By moving it all the time your just making it want to move again. What you need to do leave it alone to settle were it wants then either adjust you tank (i.e. were you place you corals) to suit or change the conditions so it will want to move to where you want it to go.

But anyway because it is new to your tank it will be stressed, and weak, all the moving round will just be adding to this. Leave it alone to settle where it wants, wait a few weeks for it to used to your tank, then start thinking about guiding it to where you want it