Flying Penguins!

SNOWKIWI

Just got back from my Saturday morning ritual of visiting the local markets, breakfast on the quay, and a quck squiz at my LFS's, walked in the door at home to find a dead Penguin tetra about 1 1/2 meters away from his tank! Tank hasn't got a lid, but then I have never had the need of one before. Anyone know if these fish are prone to high/long jumping? Tank is only about 45 litres so he wouldn't have had much of a run at it! I'd fed them at about 6 a.m. and left about 6.45, but hadn't heard any splashing up till then! Thought that the cat might have taken up fishing, but this tank is in a place that she can't normally get to, so I don't really think it was her! :o:x:cry:

Needn't have jumped that far, but in it's efforts to get back into the tank that the silly beggar decided to leave, it will have done a lot of useless jumps in it's efforts.

But to no avail before the mat of carpet-hair was too much for it to continue.

Remember, penguins can't fly either, but penguin fish can, so can almost any other fish given the right impetus, especially sex, as this results often in very hard chasing.

Alan 104

yeah liek alan said any fish can jump out of a tank with no lid on. remember fish are very small with very tiny brains so not to clever. they will sometimes just swim to fast and whoops the fly out the top. it happens all the time at jansens botany where there is only 15mm of the dividing glass between the tanks out of the water and they just pop over the other side for a look.

In saying that if you find a number of your fish jumping out it would be a very good idea to do an urgent water change and test your water as if a fish doesnt like the water it is in it will try to get out eg; to avoid amonia burn.

you'd be amazed how far a fish will flap around and get. i have found small fish 5+ metres from tanks before they dried out. they can last a long time out of water some times as well. if i find a fish out of water even pretty dried on the outside i still put it in the water to see if it twitches and then if it does you run it through the water to pass water through the gills. kinda like CPR for fish!

I know that sounds stupid but trust me i have seen someone do this for twenty minutes with an arowana before it was revived and went on to live a happy life.

sorry that was a bit of a long rant hahahaa