another eggy question!

dreamchaser

we have had our albino catfish lay eggs twice now in our breeding tank ,, it was a bit of a shock as we put them in ther to clean up aftrer our young platy fry!! :D but they have feasted on the eggs twice now,, :cry: they have laid them both on the glass and the heater... is there any way of trying to save themm.. the first time we took the catfish back out of the tank and into the main one but after the 2nd day the eggs were looking "furry' probably the tank getting too dirty for eggs?? any suggestions on what to do for next time?? : :-?

Fertile cory eggs should go a darker colour over the course of a couple of days as the fry develops. Infertile ones will go white and fungus. Often the eggs from the first spawning are infertile (thought to be due to being too long inside the female).

Cory eggs are reasonably robust - in the past I have removed them from the glass (just using my fingers) and transfered them to an icecream container of tank water - which I then secured inside the tank (so that they stayed at a tropical temperature) - remove any white/fungused eggs as they're noticed. Just be aware that the cory eggs are sort of soft when they're laid (ie easy to damage) but become tougher after a while (so unless something was eating them straight away I'd leave them perhaps an hour(??) from being laid before I tried to shift them).