white spot help please

Tom_Shannon

White spot is usually stress related, the first thing you need to do is some water tests and check that your parameters are good. Also get your salinity tested with a refractometer all those floating etc ones are crap. If thats what your using I would put money on your salinity being to high.

Hi Tom_Shannon

You are sounding desparate! Don't admit to being some form of fish doctor by any stretch, but thought I try help you out. Never tried it myself but the first book on aquariums/reef keeping I ever bought was "Aquariums for Dummies" :oops: It has a pretty good chapter on diseases and treatment.

There are two possible diseases that the book lists that may be what your damsel has - Marine white spot and marine velvet. Below are the symptoms and treatment for both - take your pick :o

Marine white spot

Symptoms: White spots resembling small grains of salt, appear on body

Treatment: Place the afflicted fish in a freshwater bath for a few minutes. Copper based medications are also effective (doesn't elaborate on this sorry)

Marine Velvet

Symptoms: White or rust coloured dust on the body and fin areas; fish is scratching by rubbing its body on the gravel, sand or decorations; increased respiration, excess slime, flared gills.

Treatment: Freshwater baths and copper-based medications

Hope this helps you out bit.

Cheers

Skippy

If it is white spot I strongly suggest you dont try and treat it, just sort out the stress, removing it from th etank and medicating will just stress is more. The key is to not panic I have seen fish completely covered in spots and recover with no help other than removing the cause of stress.

Also think about getting a cleaner shrimp or two they will eat the white spot off the fish.

If it is white spot I strongly suggest you dont try and treat it, just sort out the stress, removing it from th etank and medicating will just stress is more. The key is to not panic I have seen fish completely covered in spots and recover with no help other than removing the cause of stress.

Also think about getting a cleaner shrimp or two they will eat the white spot off the fish.

spot on (no pun intended)

i have dealt with white spot many ways, fresh water dip, copper, and doing nothing, i know it might be hard but doing nothing worked best for me, both other options resulted in losing the fish, as the stress caused by moving them when there already sick is normally the beginning of the end from my experience.

just make sure your water quality is excellent, try not to make any sudden changes, and soak your food in garlic juice, this will aid the appetite of all the fish but its the sick one you want to get fat, if he eats well and the water quality is perfect then you have the best chance of pulling him through. :D