Venturi

Bubbles

I just happened to be reading about DIY venturi's on reef central today. they don't seem hard to make. basically they just use a piece of PVC pipe of the size you need with a smaller piece glued inside to reduce the size, and a hole drilled in the side to feed the air in. I don't think they needed to work very well to do the job, most of the problems seemed to be with them feeding to much air and causing the pumps to stall or the bubble sizes getting to large. The fix was just a needle valve to restict the air flow.

I just happened to be reading about DIY venturi's on reef central today. they don't seem hard to make. basically they just use a piece of PVC pipe of the size you need with a smaller piece glued inside to reduce the size, and a hole drilled in the side to feed the air in. I don't think they needed to work very well to do the job, most of the problems seemed to be with them feeding to much air and causing the pumps to stall or the bubble sizes getting to large. The fix was just a needle valve to restict the air flow.

Totally hear where you're coming from. I'm looking at the Beckets as a bolt on replacement for my Berlin venturis. To be honest, I can't be @rsed to DIY the actual venturi, so it seemed like a cheap enough upgrade.

I've also heard that spapool venturis can be quite useful.

Totally hear where you're coming from. I'm looking at the Beckets as a bolt on replacement for my Berlin venturis. To be honest, I can't be @rsed to DIY the actual venturi, so it seemed like a cheap enough upgrade.

I've also heard that spapool venturis can be quite useful.

For what we are interested in there are two different types/functions of venturi and I think you might be confusing them. The one you are looking at online is (and I could be wrong) for suppling air to a needlewheel pump this is a pretty simple task and often they are as simple as a air feed hole in the side of the pump inlet. The other type (a becket is one of these) creates the air bubbles by using a normal pump to blow water through a venturi sucking air and creating bubble as it goes (aka how your berlin works). This type of venturi is far more complicated.

I'm not sure if it is worth your trying to setup a new venturi for your berlin, IMHO there are too many complications in getting it right. If I was you I would look at getting a cheap needlewheel pump and using this to feed the berlin, which basically makes it a berlin turbo.

BTW when I had a berlin running I switched it over to use a laguna 7 pump (~7500lph), the pump was about double the reccomended size, but the skimmer rocked for what it was.

For what we are interested in there are two different types/functions of venturi and I think you might be confusing them. The one you are looking at online is (and I could be wrong) for suppling air to a needlewheel pump this is a pretty simple task and often they are as simple as a air feed hole in the side of the pump inlet. The other type (a becket is one of these) creates the air bubbles by using a normal pump to blow water through a venturi sucking air and creating bubble as it goes (aka how your berlin works). This type of venturi is far more complicated.

I'm not sure if it is worth your trying to setup a new venturi for your berlin, IMHO there are too many complications in getting it right. If I was you I would look at getting a cheap needlewheel pump and using this to feed the berlin, which basically makes it a berlin turbo.

BTW when I had a berlin running I switched it over to use a laguna 7 pump (~7500lph), the pump was about double the reccomended size, but the skimmer rocked for what it was.

Thanks for that. Getting Berlins tuned surely is a black art. I'm gonna run my 2 off a L6 which should improve things markably. Also can't help but think that part of their sub-optimal perfmance is due to how I've installed them. So that will get addressed soon too.