Help with filter and cloudy water

Foxglove

Hi, I have cleaned my filter and I'm not sure it is in the right order, cos there are lots of floaty things whirling round in the current!

:cry:

My tank is 3 ft (36"long x 15" high x 47" deep), and with propagating sand and rocks and gravel, well planted.

The filter is a Aqua One 103F Maxi Internal. The current is quite strong, but there are too many tiny bits floating for my liking.

From what I can see, the filter is sucking them in, but not strongly.

The tank has been going without problems for three months, and has got 3 kribs, 2 bristlenose, 4 platys, 2 loaches and 10 harlequins. The last 3 of the harlequins were added last week.

Can anyone help with this or tell me how the filter should be (I did try to get them all back properly, it fits , but maybe something could be round the wrong way? :oops: :oops:

Cheers!

what media is in the filter? generally you want the thick sponge first to catch the big crud, then floss afterwards to catch small stuff and whatever else normally goes after that (in my filters anyway). if the filter turns over a good amount then it should clear quickly, if not perhaps rearrange the order of the media to see if it makes a difference.

Hi Sharn, the filter came with two black sponges, so they are all I have.

Good news though.

I got impatient, and took the filter apart and reassembled it, and now it seems to be clearing! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

So I can finally see where the female platy is hiding. She has been secretive for a day and definitely looks like she's changed shape...

My tank is 3 ft (36"long x 15" high x 47" deep)

Are you sure about the 47" part? Maybe 47cm? If not then that tank is over 400 litres and needs a bigger filter. But sounds like you have reassembled it again correctly and it's working fine - These internals need frequent rinsing of the filter sponges or they get clogged and reduced flows. Just be sure to always rinse in some tank water which you then discard. And anotha good trick is to only rinse one of the filters and do the other one next time.