With a typical crayfish shape the Koura (Northern) is a sandy to dark brown colour, sometimes patterned especially on the tail. Some have orange or blue markings.
- Scientific Name: Paranephrops planifrons
- Habitat: Found in the North Island and the north of the South Island
- Tank Age/Maturity: Minimum recommended tank size footprint of 60cm x 30cm per fish..
- Threatened Species: 5. Gradual decline
- Special Requirements: P. zealandicus have high survivability (>80%) rates below 16 Â°C (61 Â°F) but temperatures above this correlate with lower rates of survivability. Higher death rates are thought to be associated with increased activity of koura at higher temperatures.
- Marine Stage: No