With a slightly pointed head, undercut jaw and oddly 'doleful' eyes (seriously!) the Shortjaw kokopu is a brownish/olivish, sometime with orange tinting and indistinct mottling colour. Commonly reaches 15 - 20cm but may reach up to 35cm.
- Scientific Name: Galaxias postvectis
- Habitat: With records on this fish a little sparse this fish may have a wider distribution than currently known - found in many areas of the North Island and mostly the West Coast of the South Island, in pools in bouldery, forested strea,s/
- Tank Age/Maturity: Minimum recommended tank size footprint of 120cm x 60cm.
- Threatened Species: 6. Sparse
- Marine Stage: Yes - can landlock